Author Topic: Take baby swimming  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Jean and Rich

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:24:05 pm »
I have decided to take my LO to Aquababies - shes 5 mths.  I think she would love it as she seems to really enjoy her bathtime.  I am really nervous about it, not sure why.  I am worried about the chlorine on her skin, is there anything you can put on the skin to help.  Also when is the best time to take them, is it before or after their feed?

Im getting myself all worked up - even thinking of not going - but I know she would love it.
Please can someone reassure me
thanks
Jean

Offline Wife and Mummy.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Re: Take baby swimming
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:40:01 pm »
well don't swim for to long as they can very cold quickly,take them once they have had a nap and a feed but not to soon after a feed.and when you get out you will need to get baby dressed first then put in car seat or something safe while you get dressed and take milk or water with you for after as babies usually get hungry after swimming even when their not due a feed.good luck and enjoy
samantha,mum to all.

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 21:13:13 pm »
I took my 5 mo ds swimming for the first time last week.  He looked the biz in his swimming trunks (with a special leakproof "swim nappy" underneath).  We also got him one of those rubber rings with a seat in the middle so he could float but also kick and splash.

He also has really bad eczema but we use a paraffin based (and therefo water resistant) moisturiser called Doublebase and slapped that on before he went in and his skin was fine.  We stayed in for just ten minutes but he loved every second and only cried when we took him out to get changed and go home!!!

Hope you have just as much fun

Offline Kyles_mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • DS Kyle
Re: Take baby swimming
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 19:38:39 pm »
I started taking my DS swimming at 3 months old and he loves it!  I would put a swimming cap on him and a light weight t-shirt and his swim trunks.  (little swimmers diaper work great)  I would go befor his feed and I found that he got cranky very quickly so I would get him ready for swimming and then feed him and abount 30 mins later we would get in the pool.  We go to a parents and tots time at our local pool.  We use the t-shirt only on cold days because our pool is solar heated.  On hot days the pool is warm and we don't need the shirt, but the swim cap helps to keep their heat in.  We could only go for about 15mins at first and now we go about 45 mins and he just loves it!  He is 4 months 1 week old now.  Good luck and don't be scared the most you will do in the pool is hold your little one while they get used to being in the pool.....
I love being a Mom!!!