Author Topic: What other foods can we try?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline summersusu

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
What other foods can we try?
« on: July 17, 2006, 14:31:49 pm »
My LO is 5 1/2 months and has been eating solids for about four weeks now and is eating three meals a day between bottles.
Due to constipation issues, before we even started solids, I think I am going to stop the rice cereal and do oatmeal instead... he has had pears, peaches, applesauce, bananas, carrots, peas, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes, and I think that is it.
What other foods can I introduce to him that maybe I could make at home instead of buy in baby food?
I saw pumpkin, can you buy canned pumpkin and puree it?
What about broccoli, cabbage,?? I think I am going to buy some prunes for the constipation issues.
What other foods can I introduce that will not aggrivate the constipation??
Thanks

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: What other foods can we try?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 14:35:55 pm »
I think pumpkin should work well, although I haven't personally tried it. But I figure it's like squash.

I would be careful about broccoli and cabbage as they may make your LO gassy.  Re: your constipation question - have you tried prunes? I haven't tried to make it at home; I just bought the baby food when DS was constipated and prunes helped A LOT!!! :)

Offline summersusu

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 14:51:19 pm »
Can you just buy pumpkin in a can (not in baby food section)  because I can not find it in the baby food section?  I am going to buy the baby food prunes, HTH with constipation.
What else can you feed that maybe I can make at home because all the foods I listed above are the only foods that I can find in the baby food section.

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 16:22:46 pm »
I'd actually recomend you hold off on Pumpkin for a while. Stick with the beginners foods for now and just basic veggies, no mixed veggies just yet, you can start those in 3-4 weeks. Out of curiosity how come you started so soon?

Try pruns as mentioned for the constipation. Blueberries also work.  Or even watered down prune juice. 1 part juice 3 parts water, or even just plain water.

He's eating a lot for a LO of his age, I would suggest you stop and just stick with what you have for now. Start new foods in a few weeks or so. You don't want to go to fast. Hold off on foods like cabbage, beans, corn, broccli as they can cause gas. Any food you know causes you tummy problems hold off on. No Strawberry's or rasperies or citris for a year due to allergies Also hold off on tomato's, tomato sauce is ok at 8-9 months or so cooked tomato for whatever reason. I think its the seeds. Cucumbers are the same. Any food with seeds like that wait on.

Try Barley and oats before anymore fruits or veggies.

HTH

Wait untill the constipation is solved first though as it may be agitated by the solids more then you think. Especially the rice cereal it tents to constipate babies with sensative tummies.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline summersusu

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 23:01:31 pm »
We started per docs orders.  He wanted him to try pears in the morning for his ongoing constipation issues.  Also, he is a big boy and had worked up to 4 ten ounce bottles a day so he needed something else to sustain him.  I was just going to stick with breakfast but he just couldn't get enough :)
Thanks for the advice.  I will stick with what he is eating now except less rice cereal and more oatmeal.

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:09:11 am »
Cool I was just curious :) My LO started early due to reflux, so I remember the confusion well of how far to go and how soon. Its a bit confusing, although I guess its just as confusing if you wait till 6 months  :P
Kimberly