Author Topic: staying up in crib a 3:30am  (Read 1112 times)

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
staying up in crib a 3:30am
« on: July 17, 2006, 15:16:56 pm »
My DS (14 weeks) is waking all the time because of reverse cycling (i went back to work and he doesn't eat much during the day until I get home). I am a wreck with this but would be better if only he woke - ate - and went immediately back to sleep. But that is not the case. Take last night. He woke around 3:30am, I fed him until 4am and put him right back down after some burping. He fussed and fussed until 5:30a! I put him down and went straight to bed but heard and saw (video monitor) him fussing for the next hour and a half! He got himself completely out of his swaddle and had gotten down to the bottom of the crib. My DH finally went in and reswaddled him which got him to sleep. Well he only slept 45 minutes and was right back up to feed. He must be so tired as he didn't get much sleep at all. What should I do in these situations? Normally I let him fuss in his crib before going in to see if he'll settle himself, but clearly that didn't work. How can I get him to feed and go right back down to sleep?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: staying up in crib a 3:30am
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 16:11:14 pm »
Whats his daytime routine like?
 It sounds like he needs more feeds during the day. Do you formula feed or express feed??
Who takes care of him while your at work? is he the same during the day?
Kimberly

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:56:09 pm »
I know he needs more feeds during the day, the problem is he won't take them until I get home from work. He will only take an ounce or two to get by until I get home, it's called reverse cycling and it's a nightmare. So I have to deal with the night wakings until he adjusts to me being at work I guess. My only problem is getting him to eat and go right back to sleep at night. He did a little better last night got up and ate at 3:30am, down by 4am but then woke up again at 5am and fussed until 6am when I finally went to get him.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 19:50:01 pm »
Sorry I've been unable to get on for a few days  :'(

Do you breastfeed then? Who feeds him during the day?
Kimberly

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 20:07:11 pm »
my sister takes care of him. I breastfeed, she gives expressed bottles during the day while i'm at work or at least tries. He only eats a little at a time. Used to suck down 4oz bottles in 5 minutes.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 22:47:16 pm »
hmm I'm a little lost on how to help you here :( I'm going to ask the other MODs to see if they can help you.
Kimberly

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 00:41:56 am »
How long has it been since you went back to work?  Is he on a regular feeding routine appropriate for his age?
I don't have experience with your situation, but I thought those questions might help others trying to answer.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007