Author Topic: Getting out of her swaddle  (Read 1143 times)

Offline MomInOhio

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Getting out of her swaddle
« on: July 17, 2006, 15:47:40 pm »
Hello! I need some advice on what to do to help my 3 1/2 month old sleep better at night. She was sleeping from 8pm-4am for a couple of weeks, which was WONDERFUL!, Andthen suddenly, she began to squirm herself out of her swaddle and wake herself up screaming, unconsolable until she was reswaddled, and within a minute she was fast asleep again. We tried leaving one arm out of the swaddle, but she pokes herself in the eye and hits her face and can't sleep like that. only fully swaddled. But, now she can wriggle out. We even got the Miracle Blanket (miracleblanket.com), and that worked well for a week or so, but now she can get out of that too! What do we do?
Below is her specific info if that helps.
Thank you!

Here are the answers to the questions the moderator asked us to post :
14 weeks old
On EASY since 5 weeks old. Currently 3hour routine.
Naps are usually 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Cluster feed at 5:30 and 7:15 each night then in bed by 8:00.
Mostly breasfeeding, with a few bottles of formula a week. Breastfeeding takes about 15 minutes until she is done, just one side. We've always just done one side. She takes a bottle too, and takes formula occassionally too.
Currently waking 5 times a night. She is not hungry for most of the wakes, just unwrapped. i still feed her when she wakes up between 4 and 5, b/c I think she is still hungry then, as that is when she used to wake to eat, when she slept through the night otherwise.
We've tried to settle her with pat/shh instead of reswaddling, but that doesn't work unless she is swaddled.
Activity Time: plays on her playmat, looks at picture books, I read to her, she plays quietly on her own, we go for walks, we play with toys together. She's usually having A time for 45 mins to an hour, right after eating.
No really big milestones. She can roll over sometimes, that just started, from her belly to back, but only a few times has she done that.
No cereal introduced yet.
She takes a pacifier. Sometimes i think that might be becomign a prop, but we only use it at bedtime. Though she does wake sometimes, still in her swaddle, and scream until she gets the pacifier.

Thanks for your help

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Getting out of her swaddle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 16:36:53 pm »
I think that you might have better luck with an Aussie swaddle - here's a link to the instructions...

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=55977.0

Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline MomInOhio

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 17:35:40 pm »
I'll give that Aussie swaddle style a try. But, I wonder if we might be best to try to wean from swaddling, if it's becoming a prop in itself???

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 18:22:03 pm »
It could be worth a try, but it sounds to me like she's not ready if she's poking herself and can't settle without it.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline MomInOhio

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 00:48:05 am »
Thanks. We will keep trying with the aussie swaddle. I haven't posted for a bit b/c we were on vacation, which was a challege, as her routine was a bit busted being away from home and so sleeping was even worse. I'm working hard to get her back on routine and at the same time switching from 3 hour to 4 hour routine. Sleeping at night is still tough, as she is still getting out of any swaddle!!!
Thanks for the help!