Author Topic: NOT sleeping 5-6 hrs per night - makes me feel totally inadequate!?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline NrsT

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
All thru TBW's books it says babies SHOULD sleep from 5-6 hrs per night from early on, mine is 11 weeks and on a good night he goes from 10am (feed) til about 3am, then up again at 6am.  (believe me that is a GOOD night).  When he wakes he cries HARD not grizzling, not cooing, but CRYING.  He is hungry, won't take paci and no amount of shushing will get him back to sleep.  I am breast feeding and then offering a bottle to top him off. 
Is this normal?????? DOes it change of their own accord, and at about what age????
Thanks

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: NOT sleeping 5-6 hrs per night - makes me feel totally inadequate!?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 22:31:59 pm »
Don't worry, all LOs are different and sleeping is way harder for some than others. Mine didn't do 5-6 hours until WELL past 11 weeks let me tell you! At 11 weeks a wake at 3 and then 6 is pretty good! Also it's totally normal for your DS to need to feed at least twice at night at 11 weeks, when he wakes you should definitely be offering that.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline NrsT

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:38:46 am »
Thanks for your reply, makes me feel better ;)

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:19:25 am »
hi,

my dd is 12 weeks now and most of the nights she also wakes two times to feed. she sleeps a 5-6 hours stretch in the first part of her night [it's still evening for me though... :( we don't go to bed earlier than midnight] and then wakes every 3 hrs or so. she wakes up at 6am all happy to start a new day but I try to ignore her as I'd like her wake time to be 7am.
so you see, I guess it's nothing unusual to have a baby waking up twice a night at this age :)

monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 19:46:45 pm »
Your LO is doing fine :) He's still young and his tummy is still small, feed him when he wakes and give hime time and he'll eventually sleep longer and longer. Not all LO's sleep 5-6 hours without a feed.
Kimberly