Author Topic: Is this a transition?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
Is this a transition?
« on: July 18, 2006, 21:29:24 pm »
How old is your child?    6 1/2 months
What’s his/her daily routine?   4 Hour EASY
What’s nap routine? 2 hours in the AM, 1 1/2 hours in the PM (before 3PM)
How long are naps?
What's bedtime routine? Time? Between 7-7:30PM....bottle, read a story, quiet time...bed (every other day bath is before all of this)
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle feed
How much? or how long?  8 ounces every 4 hours
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? one
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? This is recent.  DS started sleeping through the night last week - happened for 3 days in a row.  We are committed to not feeding at night as he is getting 2 meals per day in addition to bottles.  First night he screamed, then last night he was just awake.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Definitely a real cry.
What have you tried to settle?? PU/PD and bottle of water since he used to soothe himself with only 1 or 2 ounces of formula.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? A time is between 2 hours and 2 1/2 hours.  Tummy time, reading, playing with toys - in the afternoon he is in the stroller for about an hour.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? He is teething...and I'm wondering if it's a milestone to be rolling around as much as he has started to do in the past week.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? No prop
Do they have a lovie? No real lovie.

Our ds was waking a few times at night to eat, but we realized that it wasn't really to eat.  Once he started eating two real meals a day, he slept through the night.  He did this for three nights in a row before the other night when he woke up screaming and it took over an hour to put him to sleep.  Last night he woke at a different time, 4 AM and was simply awake.  After soothing him with the PU/PD, he finally put himself to sleep at about 5AM.  I am wondering if there is something I'm missing?  Or is this a normal transition phase?

Thanks
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Is this a transition?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 22:29:22 pm »
Rolling is absolutely a milestone that affects sleep. The best way to combat that is to make sure he gets all the time during the day to practice that he wants. That way he will master the skill sooner and hopefully get the urge to practice out of his system. I also would think that the teething is of course part too, have you been treating that?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 22:34:59 pm »
We have given him teething biscuits and that seemed to help - I think tonight I may give him a dose of Motrin, though I don't like to do that all the time.  I can't seem to find the teething tablets I keep hearing about.  Also, during the day he gets lots of gumming time with teethers, etc.

Any other suggestions?

I do try to let him roll around most of the morning and much of the afternoon so that he "wears himself out" so to speak.  But I have noticed that he is all over his crib whereas he used to fall asleep in one place and pretty much stay there the whole night.
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 22:38:15 pm »
Not sure where you are - have you tried baby orajel? I've also heard that vanilla works well rubbed on LOs gums, but I've never tried it myself.

Sometimes the little dears are so thrilled with their new skills that they can't get enough  ;)
Jessica

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 14:45:59 pm »
OUr pediatrician said not to use the Orajel.....last night I gave him Motrin, but he WOKE AGAIN EXACTLY AT THE SAME TIME - 4AM and it took 45 minutes to get him to sleep.

Now I don't know what to do - any suggestions?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 19:22:41 pm »
Are you sure that he's waking due to teething? If he's waking at the same time then you can try wake to sleep.
Jessica

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 20:34:10 pm »
I thought that it was teething until it happened at the same time two nights in a row.  The wake to sleep - is it 30 minutes before the time they wake up? And do I change him or leave him in the diaper he's been in?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 20:35:53 pm »
W2S is 60 - 30 minutes before the waking time. You don't actually wake them, just make them stir to change sleep cycles.
Jessica

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 20:42:15 pm »
Okay, so just jostle him a bit, but no diaper change.  I hope it works.  Otherwise, I think we are going backwards.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 21:19:13 pm »
Yeah, depending on how heavy a sleeper he is, stroke his cheek, tug the blanket, something like that. My DS is a very light sleeper, so W2S for me was always simply turning the doorknob to his room - that was enough to make him stir!
Jessica

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 14:53:15 pm »
So I think he is definitely getting more teeth - the poor kid was happy but restless yesterday - only slept for 45 minutes in the morning and then 60 minutes in the afternoon.  My dh and I had a meeting last night at 5 that ran until 7, so ds didn't get to bed until 7:45PM.  He woke up at 8:45PM and 9:45PM.  BUT - I set my alarm for 3:15AM and did WTS and he did sleep through his 4AM wake (heard him at 4:15AM but he put himself back to sleep).  This morning he slept until 7:30AM.

Here is my question - how long do I do WTS before THAT becomes a habit?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 16:22:53 pm »
That's great!!

Some people find that three days does the trick, but others need to do it longer. The longest I've heard of someone doing it is two weeks.
Jessica

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 16:32:09 pm »
I'm just a little worried that if I keep doing it, that it will become a habit. But I guess that I should do it at least another two nights (right, 3 days "should" fix it) and see what happens.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 16:44:37 pm »
It won't become a habit I promise. That's why you don't actually wake them - it teaches their bodies to switch cycles at the right time.
Jessica

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 12:47:37 pm »
Okay, last night I set my alarm, did the WTS and he slept through his 4AM waking, but then woke at 5:15am and is now up for the day (after a horrendous day yeste4rday of only one nap and a late bedtime of 8:30PM).  So, now, do I set my alarm for WTS at BOTH 3AM and 4AM?

I am VERY tired.  And now, DS will be TOTALLY off today.