Author Topic: Alergy? Completely clueless! Please help if you can!  (Read 1220 times)

Offline **Clare**

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 134
Alergy? Completely clueless! Please help if you can!
« on: July 19, 2006, 19:39:43 pm »
Hi there,

My lo is 13 months old. For the past 6 months he has been quite 'chesty' , his chest is clear but sounds rattly like he has mucas or something on his chest.  3 months ago he had a cold and became wheezy and was put on an inhaler, he came off that a month ago and is no different to when he was on it.  The thing I'm worried about is over the past 2 months, sometimes 3 days running, at one meal (usually at nursery I may add but this maybe coz thats where he has his cooked meal? Not sure...) he starts to cough and is sick, it is not normal sick it is what i call 'slime'!

He hasn't generally got a cough, its like something triggers it when he eats - sometimes! I know this all sound very confusing, I'm confused myself!  I took him to the docs yesterday who thought it might be some kind of reflux? He has given him infant gaviscon to be given twice a day with his meal and this should stop him bringing it back up.... I can kind of see where the doc is coming from but why is it so slimey, its just like flem off his chest and his food!

My question is, y does he do it sometimes and sometimes not, why is it he does it more at nursery? Does anyone think it could be an allergy of some kind? I'm not very hot on allergies.  I do wonder if its got worse since hes been on cows milk but i couldn't say for sure...

Id be grateful for any ideas!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Alergy? Completely clueless! Please help if you can!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 20:31:54 pm »
Ok, gross question: the stuff he is hacking up is food and mucus?   What colour is the mucus part?  (Promise, there is method to my madness.)   Is he just coughing, or is he also  gagging some?  Have you kept track and seen any sort of pattern other than it's at nursery?  Like it's worse with certain foods?  If he's been at this for 6 months, I question if cow's milk is a major issue.  What did you wean him from?  What it reminds me of is my own asthma.  When it flairs, increased cough and mucus.  Combined with a small child, the cough could make him reflux.  If you can't find a food trigger, I wonder about an environmental one of some kind.  Which could explain why more so at nursery .   So, where is my rambling going?  Try out the gaviscon and see how it goes.  See if you can find a food trigger.   Give it a week or so and we can go from there.          :D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
Re: Alergy? Completely clueless! Please help if you can!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 21:06:21 pm »
Thanks, ur a star! It could possibly an environment problem... not sure what, also the vomiting has only been the last 2 months - roughly (that is a guess!) I weaned him from SMA to cows milk a week before his first bday....

I would sayhe gags a little which makes him cough and up it comes! The mucus part is clear I would say thou hard to tell with his food! Its like hes sicked up his food but when you go to clean it up its thick 'slime'!

I will keep a record of when he does it and what hes eaten and also give the gaviscon ago! Thank you, ill keep u posted xxxxx