Author Topic: please help my son  (Read 1047 times)

Offline batuki05

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 19, 2006, 23:31:30 pm »
Ok here goes

My son is 1 year and 11 day old. 18lb and 2oz and 29 3/4 in. He is skinny. But very active he crawls climbs , just started walking. Meets all his milestones perfectly. Such a happy boy. he had cold only once and that too because I gave it to him.
  Now there are two probs. One he still wake up at least 5-6 times a night. I have to pat him back to sleep. I was thinking this was a bigger problem. But now there is even bigger problem. He is very very picky eater. About a month back he atleast used to taste and then reject it. Now he does not even open his mouth.
   He has always had a small appetite. I have never worried since he was good with finger foods. But now all he does now is throw it(before he used squish it, plays with it etc). I know I have tried force feeding him. may it was my mistake. But I go to the extreme of preparing him different meals each time. I have tried everything. I love cooking. I invent new things for him. I try to remain calm when he does not eat.
      Till yesterday i thought If I keep offering him healthy food he will come around. But yesterday we had 1 year well baby check up. He had lost 2oz in 3 months. And his ped is telling us to go to nutritionist. I don't want to get into that. This has made me feel bad. I feel like i have been starving him.
        I alway give him whole wheat bread and pasta and etc. Never have given bottled food(no offense to mom's who give it).I just am trying to say I really care what goes inside him.
        I have been Bfing him for 1 year. Now I have slowly dropped to only two feeding a day. He drinks about 4-5 oz of cow's milk apart from me. he loves all the fruits. But doc says it has no calorie.
  I am not posting his schedule. The reason is for the past one month he has been eating all day. two mouths here, two mouths there. Spits it.
   he is never cranky because of hunger.

Pls tell me some suggestion.Ped has given me three weeks tome to make him gain weight. Otherwise we have to go to nutritionist, take test etc. I don't want my baby to go into that. Like how can I boost his calorie intake. How shall I make him to open his mouth. Now a days I even let him watch TV or play while eatting. But since he has not interest in TV he does not watch.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mortish

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Did some one say ice cream???!!!!
Re: please help my son
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 00:52:34 am »
Sorry to hear you are going through this....I know exactly what you are talking about because i have been through this with my ds.

He was exactly the same...so fussy that he would pick something up, smell it and if he didn't like the smell would put it down and would not eat it.....to be truthfully honest I never tried to force feed him because he has the same temperament as me, stubborn as a mule ;D...I guess for a while I thought if I don't offer him anything else he will get hungry and eat...but it didn't work like that.  I found he absolutely loved weetbix and he loved his toast with vegemite.....so I would give him his varied meals but at the end of the day if he didn't eat much then I would later on give him either weetbix or toast.  Now some people would say that is enabling him, but honestly he would rather starve than eat what I had prepared - believe you me, I held out for quite sometime and it just wasn't working.  My doctor just said some kids are like that and they will grow out of it.  I guess we went through this for about 2 years and then slowly but surely he came around and now he is a great little eater and will devour anything (well almost :)) anything that I put in front of him.

One other thing, even though he had a limited diet he was never ever a sickly child.  I use to also give him a top up of a multi vitamin syrup in his drink just to make sure he didn't miss out.

I also went through the guilt of feeling like a bad mum...like where did I go wrong, but at the end of the day I really believe it was nothing that I did....I guess he had fussy little taste buds!  And no amount of jumping up and down was gonna change it.

Does he have some foods that he really likes?  I still would give him the variety but perhaps an hour later or something give him a snack that you know he will eat.  If he is that fussy then perhaps structure it that you graze him...ie give him lots of little snacks throughtout the day...

Anyway sending you heaps of hugs because i know how frustrating this can be.

Mortish
xx

Offline batuki05

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:16:29 am »
Thank you for your supportive words. he is becoming worse in eating day by day. I am trying to remain calm but is so hard. I wish he gets better fast.
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

andibig

Re: please help my son
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 04:42:08 am »
i know this feeling too :-[.
somedays DD will eat quite well, but recently its a struggle to get anything into her even though i've cut her down to two bottles.generally she tends to graze over lunchtime. i think some LOs are like that they cant seem to manage 3 big meals a day.
i know its hard not to worry , i do the same but i try to remain calm about it (so difficult) as i don't want to turn food into a battle ground.
hope things get better for you