Author Topic: dropping milk feeds with solids  (Read 1159 times)

Offline rosie and joe's mummy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • baby joe
dropping milk feeds with solids
« on: July 20, 2006, 14:20:28 pm »
rosie was exclusively breastfed up to 24 weeks.  She then started solids, which has been great, she will eat anything and loves her food, she is even feeding herself with soft fingerfoods, rusks, toast finers, carrot etc...

obviously we started with a sppon a day and so on, but we got her onto 3 meals a day within a few weeks, because she took to eating like a duck to water. She's been on 3 good meals a day for about 4 weeks now (seems like longer) and I've noticed she is really cutting back on nursings.

We never did nursing then solid food, because she wasn't the kind of baby you could stop nursing until she was finished, and would end up having real tantrums if we tried, so solids had to be given at a different time. it worked really well for ages. HOWEVER, now she's only having a good feed first thing (7am ish) and last thing (either her 7pm feed or her 10.30 feed - sometimes it's one she feeds well at, sometimes it's the other) she rarely has a milk feed in the late morning ay more, and some days will have a good feed in the afternoon, or just a little snack feed.

does this sound normal or should i be worrying about her milk intake?

She usually has cereal with milk (EBM if it's dried cereal or cows milk if it's being cooked - e.g. porridge) for her breakfast, and cheese/milk in her lunch and tea (dinner) as well as a yogurt or fromage frais.

Is she beginning to wean herself onto 2 milk feeds a day?
rosie - 12/12/05
Joe 17/03/08

breastfed angel babies!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: dropping milk feeds with solids
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 15:29:44 pm »
I noticed this with Jalyn as well.  I have been continuing to offer at the 11 and 3 feeds and some days are better than others.  So, you are still offering 5 feeds?  That's great and I would not stop offering.  We too offer solids 1-1.5 hours after bf.  Maybe you need to cut back a little on the solids and try offering less or even try offering sooner after bf.  She may eat less solids, but may increase her bm intake.  7 months would be really early to self wean to 2 feeds a day.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • baby joe
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 18:27:24 pm »
yes i still offer her 5 feeds a day.  I don't think she's going to go down to 2 feeds a day too soon, but I expect that within 4-6 weeks she would, which would put her just under 9 months?

she's going into daycare for 2 days a week from September, aged 9 months, and I wonder if she'll need a daytime feed providing (EBM in a cup - since she has only ever had a bottle of EBM half a dozen times and not for months) or if  she'll be able to have a morning, evening and late night feed then?
rosie - 12/12/05
Joe 17/03/08

breastfed angel babies!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 19:12:26 pm »
I would lean towards leaving a sippy of EBM for the midday meal.  At 9 months I think you would still want 4 bfs a day.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • baby joe
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 17:52:09 pm »
spoken to the nursery today and they said she'll probably be ok with a sippy of EBM, which is what I'll try and do. :)
rosie - 12/12/05
Joe 17/03/08

breastfed angel babies!