Author Topic: Waking to play for 2 hours!!!  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Clayts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Waking to play for 2 hours!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 07:48:55 am »
I understand what you are saying however I do feel that this particular response did come across as judgemental.  The original post read to me as if Dougal's LO was waking up and playing for 2 hours - nothing to do with solids - just wanting some advice on routine.  I understand that the mods are volunteers however tact still needs to play a huge part as sometimes parents are at their witts end, feeling fragile and worried at every step of the way whether they are making the right decision - the last thing they need is to have that decision put to interrogation... The mods do a great job.  No argument there.  I just feel that on occasion, and I am not finger pointing at all, that there is an attitude particularly around weaning that makes me and others I have spoken to that use the site feel afraid to tell the whole story in case we get told off.  This has been a feeling I have had for while reading previous posts not just this one.

I pick and choose bits out of BW as I feel are appropriate - it is not my bible admittedly - sometimes I just want to chat to other people about their experiences and get their take on things in a supportive forum, which I think the BW site usually is.

I don't think it's disrespectful to criticise the advice of someone just because they are no longer with us.  Ideas and methods need to be challenged and discussed and criticised in order to improve and develop theories.  Evolution is a natural part of existence.  I am sure TH would agree that you do what feels right and works for you and your baby and not everything is black and white - which is why this forum is so widely used.  Not everyone on this website follows the BW to a T - some people make it up as they go along, try different things that work and then share them.  I fully agree that this is the place to come as discuss the BW methods but surely if you don't agree with some of those methods then this is also the place to raise  concerns and enter into a discussion about them, where else is there to go?  I would have though you might welcome criticism which gives you a chance to address it rather than people bottling it up.

Many countries recommend weaning from as early as 2 months, until recently the UK recommended 4 months - the jury is still out at the moment in the UK but 6 months is used as a guide.  A lot of paeds still recommend 4 months.  There is always a reason why a mum or dad chooses to parent in a particular way - I just think that sometimes this is overlooked and called into question when it should be accepted and worked round.

My intention was not to have a go at any one in particular and reading back I could have phrased things better so apologies for that.  I have and will continue to use the forum as one of my many useful sources of information.

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 08:23:06 am »
Hi there

Im so glad you came back xxx

You are so right the issue of weaning is one that is emotive to a lot of parents not just here on BW but in all sorts of parenting circles. The same applies to the sleeping through issue too. We all want to do our very best for our LOs don't we and we always question ourselves and worry whether we are doing the right things.. I know I do continually!  Thank you for the feedback about the feeling you get about posting about weaning. Its useful for us mods to think about for the future so we can be as supportive to members as we can. I truly appreciate your honesty in letting us know xxx

I have to admit I agree wholeheartedly with your approach and the way you use parts of BW and not others - I do exactly the same. You are right about Tracys views too - as I said before she knew each and every baby is different and that her methods would need tweaking for many children.

I agree that sometimes ideas need to be challenged sometimes if you disagree with them, by all means raise concerns and lets discuss the methods but we do need to be careful on this site that we do not out and out criticise the methods as our whole point of existence is to support them, which on the whole we do as they are working for our children in one way or another.

I am glad you will continue to use the forum and I thank you for saying that this site is generally supportive and helpful - we strive hard every day to make it that way. I hope to see you posting on the boards xxx

If you want to discuss anything that I have said further please do not hesitate to pm me.. I'd be happy to chat with you more.

Take care

Helen xx

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 07:52:34 am »
Clayts, thanks for your most recent post.  It was well thought out and I actually agree with everything you said.  It sounds as though your original post was written in the heat of the moment (as was my reply!) so I'm pleased you've clarified what you wanted to say.  Kelly xx
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Clayts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 13:31:19 pm »
Thanks to all for the comments I am glad in the end something positive has come out of this.

Offline dougal

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 13:12:50 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've just come back from a weekend away and saw the comments written on this post and thought i would write a little reply....

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to write on my thread and for expressing your opinions - how boring it would be if we all thought the same thing!

I do love this site and of course will continue to use it. I have always followed BW advice and as a very inexperience parent i felt i needed some guidance and looked to here to provide it. I have found some great advice on here and it has helped me a lot, but i also dont follow it rigidly.

Do you know what i find most confusing? Not everyone has the same views as on here, especially my HV, and it takes a little time to work out whose opinions and views make the most sense and will work for us. And of course as a parent i want to do the best for my LO.

What i do want to say as well is that the Mods on here do a great job, and i understand that you have to express the views of the BW.

it's been great to be part of such an emotive discussion - i'm sure it won't be the last!

Donna
XX

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 15:52:29 pm »
Hi there Donna!

Hope you had a good few days away.

Do you know you have described not ony yourself but loads and loads of parents who come onto this site. We look here for guidance, but we don't follow everything we read rigidly, we match it to our LO.

You are so right.. not everyone has the same views as on here.. thats what made Tracy special.. she had views and methods that were unique to her and that when used with respect to our lovely LOs needs are successful. Unfortunately Health Visitors often live on a different planet to BW and you are right it takes a time to reconcile the advice you are getting from different corners and find out what makes sense to you and works for your LO. I am blessed with a forward thinking Health Visitor, she is an absolute gem, and she has been interested to hear all about the methods i have read about in Tracys books and on here.

Thanks for replying - its lovely to see you here and I hope to see you around the site in the future xxx

Helen xx