Author Topic: LO taking less milk  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
LO taking less milk
« on: July 21, 2006, 23:07:34 pm »
It's hard to tell what the reason is but my lo is taking about 1 ounces less at most feedings - she has five per day.  Her afternoon "snack" - the feeding at about 3:30 is still about 6 or 6.5 ounces.  The others - breakfast, lunch, dinner and df - will be about 5 or so. 

We started pears about 2 weeks ago.  We started with .5 ounces of pears (going by Tracy's measurements).  But when she started taking less milk, I only give her about 2 teaspoons of pureed pears to make sure she's not filling up on pears.  She has had pears for breakfast for 2 weeks and for breakfast and dinner for 1 week.

This eating less milk only started about 4 days ago.  She's possibly teething right now but it's hard for me to tell because she's had the symptoms of teething for about 8 weeks now.  The bigger symptoms like diaper rash and fever and super red cheeks and mild diarrhea just flared up again in the past few days also though. 

So the question is - do babies start eating less when they first start solids?  Am I feeding her too much at a serving?  Also, would she have a reaction to the pears like the diarrhea and rash over a week after starting them?

Thanks.

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Re: LO taking less milk
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 13:33:17 pm »
I've read posts about older babies taking less breast milk but I don't know how to apply this to my lo who is only 5.5  mo and formula fed.
Thanks.

Also, has anyone's lo started squirming a lot when feeding?  It isn't reflux problems (something we went through when she was younger).  She's just looking around, arching her back and looking upside down.  She only took 3 ounces this morning and doesn't seem too bothered by it. 

I decided to try something new today and give her pears at lunch and dinner instead of breakfast and dinner and hopefully make lunch a bigger formula feeding instead of her snack. 

I also saw on those posts that babies drop a bottle feeding at some point.  How do you know when that happens? 

Offline toriaum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: LO taking less milk
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 13:57:05 pm »
I'm having a similar problem with my lo.  She's drinking less than before and doesn't seem interested at all in it.  She's also teething but she's been teething for the last month as well ( although now it seems more of a problem) She eats four times a day (around 6 ounces) plus a dream feed of 4-5 ounces.  She has solid food twice a day, morning and night 2 teaspoons of fruit in the morning and one tablespoon of cereal in the evening.  I was going to increase this to lunch time as well, but it seems like I shoudl hold off to make sure she's drinking enough milk first.   If I try the bottle just before she goes down for a nap, she'll usually eat more.  But I don't want to get in the habit of that in case she starts needing to eat to fall asleep.  Anyone else have this problem?