Author Topic: Suggested activities/toys for spirited 5.5 mo  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Suggested activities/toys for spirited 5.5 mo
« on: July 25, 2006, 13:45:31 pm »
My lo is spirited (I'm pretty sure).  She gets bored after just a few minutes with a toy.  She can sit up alone for maybe a minute before she has to prop herself up on her arms so that means she can't hold or grab toys easily.  I need to hand her toys and she'll grab them but she still isn't really coordinated so she'll drop them.  Usually she's in her bouncing seat so she can't get them off the floor.  If she's on the floor, she'll try and pick them up but her pinching skills aren't perfected so it takes a while plus she can't crawl so if the toy is out of reach, she gets angry.

She doesn't like the jumping thing you hang up.  She'll sit in her exersaucer for a little while but the toys on it don't entertain her for long.  The only thing she really likes is Sesame Street (I know the recs from the AAP about TV though).

Any recs from moms of spirited babies?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Suggested activities/toys for spirited 5.5 mo
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:21:49 am »
at 5.5 mo liv was getting tummy time with toys put around her so she could try to reach for them, playing under gymini/baby gyms, soft toys, soft blocks for banging (same for the rings off the ring stacking thing with the pole in the middle). frustration is an ok thing  as it motivates them to try to reach the objects etc (so long as thyey are not getting too upset).  best place is probably on the floor as much as possible as this is the window where they are working to sit up independently so need practice (put pillows around baby if needed), rolling, and eventually crawling.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 22:16:10 pm »
great.  thanks a bunch.  she has almost zero patience just like me so she gets aggravated easily and bored easily.  I'll look for those toys.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 22:25:23 pm »
I think Katie was still working on her grip at this time too but rattles were good or other things that make noise.  She was (still is) into puting thing in her mouth, so I tried to vary the textures of her "toys".  We used the boppy to help her learn to sit.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 22:53:49 pm »
at 5.5 mo liv was getting tummy time with toys put around her so she could try to reach for them, playing under gymini/baby gyms, soft toys, soft blocks for banging (same for the rings off the ring stacking thing with the pole in the middle). frustration is an ok thing  as it motivates them to try to reach the objects etc (so long as thyey are not getting too upset).  best place is probably on the floor as much as possible as this is the window where they are working to sit up independently so need practice (put pillows around baby if needed), rolling, and eventually crawling.

Yep, this is my suggestion too - lots of floor time rather than trying to contain in a jumper or exersaucer. When he could, he used to roll around the room and was more interested in playing with house things (curtains, drawers and other fiddly things). So for him toys weren't an entertainer (and angel dd gets good use out of them instead LOL), he just wanted to be on the move and checking out his surroundings - you may find you dd is the same once she gets herself moving.