Poll

If you weaned your child onto solids during the last 3 years, how old were they when you first gave them solids?

Under 4 months
8 (22.2%)
4 months
9 (25%)
5 months
7 (19.4%)
6 months
10 (27.8%)
after six months
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Poll: UK mums, what age did you wean your child?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
Poll: UK mums, what age did you wean your child?
« on: July 25, 2006, 14:04:58 pm »
The reason I'm specifically asking UK mums and only those in the last three years is because different countries have different guidelines - and the guidelines for the UK changed 3 years ago. Anything before 3 years ago isn't relevant to what I'm trying to figure out right now.

I am just trying to get a feel for what most people have done - not trying to start a debate.
Many thanks in advance
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

• Showing Appreciation 50
  • me and littlest cuddlebug
Re: Poll: UK mums, what age did you wean your child?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 14:31:15 pm »
I first gave ds solids at 4 months, he was a very big baby (11lb14oz) and was very definitely ready, in fact he was trying to take it off our plates and he was on a couple of meals a day within a week or so. I have weaned two babies in the last three years but i can only vote once so i thougth i would let you know that I gave dd solids at five and half months but it was a much more gradual process. I took my cues from my babies. Hope that helps
Kirsty
Kirsty x

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 16:56:46 pm »
we waited til 6 months because Ethan seemed happy enough and apart from interest in what we were doing, wasn't mad keen for food and also because i have some irritable bowel syndrome and my dh doesn't always have the healthiest, easiest going gut either so given that we knew that the breastmilk he was getting was good stuff we didn't feel like messing round with giving him anything he wasn't ready for.  worked well for us! hth!

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 18:23:11 pm »
At 4 months cos she was showing an interest and was hungry. then stopped again after 3 weeks cos she was just having a growth spurt! Started again properly at 6 months.
Kimberley

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 20:01:01 pm »
With DD#1 we waited until 6 months - she was sleeping through, and although interested, did not feel the need to start "early", with DS#2 I think he was 22-23 weeks , he had reflux, was no where near sleeping through and was having major issues with his bfeeding prob due to reflux  -after a week or so the bfeeding issues began to improve , though we had to wait until nearly 8 months before getting a glimmer of a good night ;D

Clare

Mum to Anna 2yrs 7 months and Nathan 10 months

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 20:57:41 pm »
I weaned Shay when he was just over 5 months as he was really low in weight and my HV suggested to. He had been very interested in food for quite a while though. As soon as we started he was gobbling it up!

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 21:28:49 pm »
4 months because I thought that it was the right thing to do as I had done with Nathan but at six months, I was informed by a health visitor that the guidlines had changed.  Oh well, Alex loved her food and still does.  I am still dissappointed with my health visitor who I have yet to meet!!!

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 21:47:46 pm »
I am still dissappointed with my health visitor who I have yet to meet!!!

:o Huh! That is really bad. Where are you?

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline Bryony's mum

• Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 21:51:20 pm »
By coincidence, exactly 18.5 weeks with each (although Bryony was just over 3 years ago).  With Bryony, i wanted to wait until 6 months, but our HVs were quite militant about starting at 4, and I have friends who started at 14 weeks, so I felt I did well to hold out another 4.5 weeks. ::)  I needn't have bothered as she hated solids and was over a year before things settled down with solids.  She was big and wasn't sleeping through but the solids made no difference.

With Ben, the guidelines had changed to 6 mths (not that the HVs necessarily gave that impression) and I was going to wait but he seemed particularly keen to start, so I did.  Things went much more smoothly with him from the start.  He wasn't sleeping through and again the solids made no difference.
Alisa

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/5/549575.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/5/581192.png[/img]

[img width= height=]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/8/895623.png[/img]

[img width= height=]https://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/r/rf67x89kd.png[/img]]

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 06:55:08 am »
We started at 15 weeks on medical advice as Jason was 18lbs (was 9lbs 15oz at birth) and although he had been sleeping right through since six weeks old had started waking for a full 8oz bottle at night, when he was already getting four bottles a day.  Hv advised us to start but said he was definitely the exception to the rule and to stick to baby rice and fruit and veg - no gluten till six months.

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 09:22:26 am »
I started feeding solids to my DD at 51/2 months as she was not taking her milk.  Then when she started solids she began taking her milk more.  We stuck to baby rice for 2 weeks and then started offering her more veggie and fruit purees when she hit 6 months
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 19:18:39 pm »
I voted after 6 months as that is what happened with Red. We offered puree at 6 months which he refused, and then gradually gave him odd bits of finger foods. He started to eat regular foods (pasta, meat, veges, breads etc) at 8 months and eats more than Ruby now!!

Ruby was weaned at 17 weeks. I was a typical first time mum and just too eager to get to the next step. She took it ok for a while then her intake went way down for a few months before it picked back up again.
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 20:30:42 pm »
I am still dissappointed with my health visitor who I have yet to meet!!!

:
Quote (selected)
o Huh! That is really bad. Where are you?
Quote (selected)

South Wales, (Port Talbot)  My previous Health Visitor was really great but we moved to a different area, still under the same surgery but Port Talbot instead of Neath and I still ring my old Health Visitor for advice.  I did mention to her that I have yet to meet my current Health Visitor and she said that they all have different ways of working and would try to find out if I am due a visit, but I suspect that she didn't like to comment on a colleague. 

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 20:35:21 pm »
Actually thinking about it I am still yet to meet my HV too. We moved to Devon about 10 weeks ago and the surgery said the HV would get in contact with me to make an appointment to see Shay and see how things were, and I am still waiting. I wonder if it is just a common problem of not enough HV's? At least Shay isn't a small baby.

I think if your HV doesn't mind then I would carry on consulting her for a while, at least you will be confident of her opinion.

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 20:17:42 pm »
I voted 4 months, but definitely think that I will try and wait a bit longer when we have another baby. 

Thomas suffered extreme constipation - I am not sure if it was due to the food, but would not want to take the chance.  He has only just been able to go normally now.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007