Author Topic: Has anyone stopped using Alimentum after lo gets older?  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Has anyone stopped using Alimentum after lo gets older?
« on: July 25, 2006, 20:04:15 pm »
My lo started using Alimentum when she was about 10 weeks old - she's 23 weeks now.  Of course, she's taking more formula so we use about a bottle a day which is really expensive. 

i have been giving her just the regular Similac Advance for the past two days.  But how do I know if she's having a reaction to it or needs time to get used to new formula?  We started pears for breakfast and dinner about 2.5 weeks ago.  She really seems to love them.  However, she isn't eating as much formula at meal time.  She looks around a lot while taking the bottle and takes forever to finish.  She arches her back and looks upside down but she doesn't seem to be in pain.  It seems like she's just bored and looking around.  But how do I know the difference?  Just now, she seemed like she spit up half way - like it sounded like she spit up but nothing came out and she made a really terrible face. 

I am so confused about food for her right now.  Anyone ever switched a mildly reflux baby from Alimentum to another formula?
Thanks.

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
Re: Has anyone stopped using Alimentum after lo gets older?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 23:41:21 pm »
We put Nathan on Alimentum when he was maybe 6 weeks old (forget exactly)!!  When he was 4 months I started my summer vacation (teacher) so I started him on soy.  He did really well.  Still some spitting up but it did not seem to hurt him like did before.  Then at 5 months I started mixing the soy with 1/2 milk based.  He was still spitting up about the same until the evening of the 4th day.  He started spitting up more then on the 5th day he was vomiting :-[  So we went back to soy.  He still spits up a little but he is also teething so I think the soy is working for now!!  GOOD LUCK!!

BTW- when I first asked my doc about switching from Alimentum to milk based formula at 3 months he said "I would be playing with fire"!!!  He said only try soy.  I guess he was right ::)
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 00:50:13 am »
I thought Alimentum was milk based.  The first formula we tried was Good Start soy and she didn't poop for a week.  So I'm afraid to do soy again.  did your lo not have constipation problems on the soy?  what brand of soy do you use? 
Thanks for the response.  alimentum is so expensive and she uses a bottle a day but i can't stand to see her stomach upset along with teething pain. 

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 00:54:23 am »
We used Alimentum up until a few weeks ago.  We did a gradual transition.  Like - replaced 1 ounce in each bottle for a few days, then 2, then 3 etc, etc. If it seems to trouble her you can stop and stay at like say half and half for a while. 

I noticed though that the Alimentum is SO much thicker, so when you start to mix them and get to where it is more regular similac - it is gonna come out of the nipple quicker.  We use number 3 Dr Browns and had to go to number 2 cause the regular similac will run right out of the 3 tipped upside down lol.

HTH,
Good Luck
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:39:19 am »
Hello:  My son was on Alimentum until he was 9 months old.  I tried every formula there was until we finally realized that the Alimentum was the only thing that did not make him cry all day long.  I tried switching him to Lacto-free Free formula at 3 mos. old and he got constipated really bad.  I tried Gentlease and no luck. I tried again at 6 mos and same thing.  Finally at 9 mos. he did great with the Similac Lacto-Free.  Luckily though, we had an allergist test done and knew that he was not allergic to milk, but was allergic to Soy.  I wish I knew that sooner because in the early days I even tried soy and it constipated him so so bad. 

So if I was you,   I would just bit the bullet and keep on paying for the Alimentum. One thing that you can try:  Ask your doctor for samples every time you go to the doctor or mine even explained to their Similiac Rep what was going on and got me a free case of it.

I wish you luck.  I remember those days...

-Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:46:29 am »
I forgot to mention...
Sometimes you can get the pedi to write to the insurance company and get the ALimentum paid for in full or half.  You can try that route too.  I have 3 cans of Alimentum powder unopened if you would like for me to mail them to you.  The pedi gave them to me, I never used the powder, we used ready to feed.  They are yours if you can use them.  Lemme know.  Definately ask your MD about having it paid for if you choose to not try and wean.

Zoey

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 22:25:50 pm »
why aren't you using hte powder?  i tried power formula at first and it upset her stomach but it was just regular good start formula so i don't know if it was the formula or the powder form.  i'm nervous to try something different.  have you tried the powder with your lo?

i'm going to talk with her doctor tomorrow and see what he says.  that's a great suggesiton zoey. 

also, if the other formula upset her stomach and i stopped, how long does it take generally for the negative symptoms to stop?  She took the new formula on saturday, sunday, monday and half of tuesday.  alimentum last night and today. 

that's a really nice offer zoey.  let me know what you think about powder versus regular. 

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 23:50:17 pm »
Owen just didn't like the taste of the powder, its a bit thinner too.  I tasted both and the powder did taste differently - kinda salty.  I think though that Owen was/is just used to the ready to feed consistency and flavor and is kinda spoiled with it now lol.

Anyhow, its definately a preference.  As far as how long for the negative symptoms to subside - I'd say prolly 1, 1 and 1/2 days for it to be gone from her system - just a guess. 

Whatever you try, do it slowly.  I found how we did it to be a tad annoying lol, but it worked really well for him. 

Definately talk to you pedi first and see if they can send a letter to the insurance company for some compensation.  It takes a fews days to a week to hear back about it all.  Let me know how it goes and what you think.   

Zoey

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 02:16:40 am »
i appreciate the offer but i may stick with the ready to feed also.  i am so paranoid now about switching to anything different.  she has been super cranky, spitting up, crying, waking during the night for the past two days.  i'm hoping tomorrow will be more normal and the other formula has passed.  it really seems like it upsets her stomach.
Thanks for the help.

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 00:50:38 am »
I use the Enfamil Prosobee.  I think it takes up to 5 days to get anything "out of their system".
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06

Offline Missy Lou

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 01:04:41 am »
Maggie's mom:  did you start the enfamil after using alimentum?  she finally ate well today so i'm hoping she's feeling better. 

also, zoey, i hope i didn't seem rude.  it was very generous of you to offer the formula (i know it's expensive) but i'm now really nervous to try anything at all different.