Author Topic: unsuccessful w2s?  (Read 883 times)

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
unsuccessful w2s?
« on: July 25, 2006, 22:30:05 pm »
Hi everyone:

My LO is turning 3 months tomorrow.  We sure have been having problems with nightwaking/early waking.  MY LO was weaned off paci last week and initially slept better.  Now has gone back to waking up between 3:30Am to 4:00AM and cries a lot before going back to sleep.  We have tried shush/pat to getting back to sleep with poor results.  Also we have tried W2S without any success either.  It is said that W2S is different for naps and night time.  How do you do the night time one?  I do not have a soother to use, what should I modify the W2S?

thanks

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: unsuccessful w2s?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 20:18:04 pm »
Hi Stacy:

Thanks so much for the help.  Here is the info that you requested.  I am also going to provide other info.  Bear in mind the the routine has changed somewhat in time but my LO has been waking up like this since right after his 2 month B-day.

Age of child: 3 Months old or 14 weeks.

My routine: 6AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM, 7PM(this is his bedtime), 10:20PM (dream feeding) - Feeding times
Last week, his feeding times changed to be 6:30AM, 9:30AM 12:30PM, 3:30PM and 6:30PM(bedtime feeding), 10:20PM (dream feeding)- we think his feedings changed due to increasing need for food and also because at the time he was overtired from going through the weaning pacifier process.  Now ever so slowly, I am trying to get him back on previous routine, although must confess that grandparents babysit for me for several hours in the past few days and have definitely gotten him off the schedule, they let him nap 2 hours or more and skipped 1 meal yesterday.

Nap routine:  Used to be lying down in crib drowsy but awake with the paci and he would fall asleep on his own.  Since paci removed and as a result of weaning process, fusses a lot before sleeping - has to be held, even rocked. He has a hard time with naps and once he hits the bed when I lay him down usually wakes up screaming, when he naps usually do so for 45 minutes.  Have tried W2S to extend naps- but that is another story altogether. Grandparents have been using his bouncer with his naps lasting as long as 2 1/2 to 3 hours sometimes.

Bedtime routine:  Bath, eating, sitting with stuff animal to unwind then try to make him fall asleep which can take from 30 minutes to 1 hour (this is more so in the last week since paci has gone) Bedtime routine usually starts at 6:15PM

Bottle feed vs. breastfeed:  Drinks 6 oz of LIpid AR at 6:AM and dreamfeeding.  All other meals are breastmilk and he drinks 5..5oz.  He used to take 4.5 oz of breastmilk and 5 oz of formula before the paci weaning process.

What's your LO when he wakes up at night?  How long is he up?  He starts crying and turns into wailing.  When held, he continues to cry for at least 1 hour.  He is fights with us even when we hold him to calm him down.  This parttern is more so since paci was eliminated.  Prior to that, he used to wake up at same time as now, but we used to have to get up and replug the paci 4-5 times per night after his initial wake time at 3:30Am or 4AM.

What have we tried to settle him? We hold him and rock him for at least one hour without much help.  I believe he falls asleep after one hour from being tired.  We tried to feed him 3 nights ago, thinking his night wake was secondary to hunger but he only took one oz and after eating continue to cry intensely.  We have tried shush/pat without much help.

Activity time usually is one hour to 1 1/2 hours and can be singing, playing with father, playing in playmat, playing with mobile.

There are not new developmental issues.

I have not introduce cereal.

Any props?  No pacifier any more!!!!!! I believe rocking has become a prop.  The bouncer will be a prop pretty soon - told this to grandparents but they do not care because the bouncer works like a charm.

Lovie?  Trying to get him to use a security blanket with the head of a dog attached to it.  Still no aware of it.

Current self-soothing method"  None, has tried to used his fingers but many times misses them.

Last night, woke up at 3:15AM (unusually early) and took almost a full meal  - I know he was hungry because skipped 1 meal earlier in the day.

Thanks again

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:38:47 am »
Stacy:
I weaned the paci because he was waking us up at 3:30AM and wanted us to replug it so that he would continue sleeping.  The replugging would continue for the rest of the night, every30 minutes to 1 hour, when the paci fell off.  We were all getting poor sleep, including the LO.

Yes, the grandparents issue is definitely a problem.  My mom has shoulder problems and she cannot really hold him for very long, that is why he goes on the bouncer.  My father does not like to hold him much either.  They do not want me to get a nanny while I go back to work, so they do not leave me many options in regards to the care of LO once I am away at work.  (He is to go to daycare once he is 4 months, but I got to survive this month)

I will rearrange the EASY.  As a matter of fact, LO was the one that spaced out the EASY this way - About more than 1 month ago, he was on the 3 hour easy and he would refused his meals, and get hungry at the times noted in my previous email.

Since, I weaned the paci he has been trying to use his hands more.  Initially, I was very against thumbsucking, but I realize that he really need something to soothe himself and it seems that he's sucking needs are pretty strong.  He has not found his thumb yet.  He sucks at his knuckles and at times at all his fingers, but he does it for short periods of times and gets quite frustrated. 

Last night, he actually woke up 2 times.  Once at 2:00AM and again at 3:13AM (same time as previous night- but this time we did not feed him, I knew he probably ate enough during the day).  At 2AM, he just cried for a few seconds, quiet down on his own, then make a few more sounds, and in between I could here him sucking on his hand, then after 30 minutes fell asleep.  At 3:13AM, cried a bit longer, maybe 5 minutes, so we went in to check on him.  DH held him and immediately fell asleep in his arms.  We put him back in crib and started to whimper a bit, then sucked some more.  We swaddled him and left.  He continued whimpering for a while and then fell asleep.
DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA WHY HE IS GETTING UP NOW MORE OFTEN?

Also, the rocking is definitely an issue.  I want to stop, but you should see him trying to settle himself for sleep.  He makes all sort of movements with his mouth, indicating that he still wants his paci.  In his frustration, he scratches me all over.  It is bad.  I know that he really is suffering from no having the paci.  I just do not want to give it to him since we worked so hard to weaned him and I know that giving it back would indicate weaning it again in the future.  I am thinking that once, his need for the paci is less, I will work on the rocking.  I need to work on the rocking since he is probably 16 lb by now.

Thanks for the help

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 15:08:57 pm »
Well, I do feed him at night.  As a matter of fact he gets 6 oz of Enfamil at 10:20PM, that is his dream feeding. 

I know that he really needs to suck to sooth himself.  I have a lovie next to him.  I slept with it for three nights, so that it has my scent.  He also gets swaddle with one arm out - have been trying to get him used to it for the past day or so.

My parents have tried to crib (he does not like the crib) and also the playpen.  When he lies long on both, he starts crying - that is when the bouncer comes in.  We noticed that he gets in there, and once he starts looking at the little fish in front of him (we have the aquarium bouncer by fisher price), he gets drowsy.  He does not need to even suck on anything, just looks at that and with some manual bouncy (we do not turn the bouncer part on), he falls asleep with some whimpering in the process.

I have started to feed him every 3 1/2 hours, will see how it goes.  He only took 4 oz during second feeding, and now he is sleepy.  Will let him sleep a bit and then if hungry (before the next meal), he can complete the bottle.

Thanks

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 15:46:20 pm »
Ahh, I understand about the feeding.  I tried to feed him one of the nights when he woke up crying and he only ate one oz, then continue crying until he fell asleep from being tired.  Because, I was not sure whether it was a hunger issue, I have already increased his feeding during the daytime in the past week from 4.5 oz to 5.5 oz, and today I will try 6oz if he will take it.  I know that part of his crying when he wakes up is due to his inability to soothe himself.  Now, I just do not know why he wakes up.  Like last night, I heard him wake up twice but he kind of soothed himself and went back to sleep. 

In regards to the bouncer, I have noticed that he sleeps better in it.  He can sleep 2 hour or longer if you let him.  In the crib or playpan he does the 45 minutes naps for which I have also tried the W2S without much help.  We have used a mobile on him, you should see him....  he gets excited looking at any mobile.  He smiles, laughs, kicks and moves all four limbs when he sees the mobile, and if the mobile is not moving, after a while he cries because he is bored.