Author Topic: Not sure how to handle friends 7m  (Read 1832 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Not sure how to handle friends 7m
« on: November 18, 2015, 21:51:37 pm »
Please feel free to move, I wasn't sure where to post!
I watch my friends 7m old twice a week. I've had him for several months now and things haven't gotten better. They have him on no schedule. Some mornings he's here at 730, other mornings it's 10. He should be napping around 9 or 930 but if he's not here he's not napping so that throws the day off especially since we leave at 1130 to pick up do from school. When he does nap he has to be held and rocked otherwise he screams and screams. I've tried pupd but that was a disaster. He sleeps in bed with them but I usually don't have the ability to lay with him since he and ds are on oppositeschedules right now. When I do manage to hget him down he always wakes up crying. And if i dont hold him throughout the day he cries. I can usually manage to set him down for 10 minutes, max, before he screams. Im not trying to gwt much done but when ds sees me hold him all the time, then he wants to be held all the time and then its a mad house. I try amd sit kn the floor and pkay but unless hes in my lap its no difference. Im just not sure if i should just try and do what i can here or talk to my friend? I used to work at a wonderful daycare and the parents were made aware right away that we took their schedules seriously amd that we worked alot on independent and group play. We loved and adored those kids but it isnt posisible to carry around 3 babies to keep them all happy so they knew that the babies wouldnt get held constantly. Im just not sure how to fix these issues and i dont want it to get to a point where i dont want to watch him but its quickly getting to that point. Even when dh calls he always hears him crying bc im making lunch and cant hold him and when he gets home from work he will hold him so I can cook. I've even started cooking certain easy meals when I have him so it's minimal cry time.

[/url]

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Not sure how to handle friends 7m
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 00:19:27 am »
This wouldn't solve everything, but have you thought about wearing him on your back in a sling?
Claire x

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:20 am »
I have thought about it but i don't have one and the ones I've priced out are too expensive for me to buy just for that. I was considering getting one for ds but he's past that...He wants to be down and running nowadays.

[/url]

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 03:54:15 am »
A sling came to my mind too.

What if you asked your friend for one or to borrow hers--because her baby wants to be held constantly. See what comes out of that conversation.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 05:06:43 am »
I'm guessing this is a business situation for you so you really don't want to give it up. I think I'd be having a good chat to the parents about the situation & what you know from your experience with your own children. I don't think it is fair on anyone - baby, you & the parents for you to struggle like it sounds you are & if you fall through as their baby's carer the chances are they will get someone who is less willing to hold the baby etc.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:43 am »
I think she only has a front carrier but I could definitely ask about a back one...see what she says.
And yes Katet this is definitely a business situation where they pay me and I want it to be more structured since it is a business for me. Not a REAL business but you know...I just am used to daycare working a certain way and I know they are first time parents in a unique home care situation but I'm definitely struggling. I think it was easier when I worked AT a daycare because certain things were just understood, like we couldn't carry them around, drop off needed to be no later than the start of the earliest nap ( 9am) among other things.

[/url]