Author Topic: Allergy to potatoes ?!?!?!  (Read 2037 times)

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
Allergy to potatoes ?!?!?!
« on: July 26, 2006, 09:46:47 am »
It seems my dd has a thing against potatoes. We are advised in this country to introduce solids starting with a simple veggie soup, usually with potatoes, carrots and/or pumpkin, and onion, with a dash of olive oil. When we did this dd totally refused to eat. At the time I thought it was just her having a hard time adjusting to solids. We fumbled a bit with other things (like fruit and cereal) and then tried to soup again, and again she refused, and again I thought it was an adapting problem with the flavor. By then she was used to eating with a spoon so we would trick her into eating. The first time she got a few spoonfulls in we were thrilled, but then, when I offered the breast a few hours later she projectile vomited!
We thought a number of things were happening so we insisted on the soup  :-[ after checking with her ped that it was safe. Everytime we got her to eat she would vomit on the next meal, so I finally decided to try each ingredient separately to rule out a possible allergy, and it turns out that if I don't put potatoes in the soup she eats it just fine!

Has anyone heard of a potato allergy/intolerance? Because I haven't and everyone I talk to makes the same odd-looking face! And why is it that that she doesn't vomit when she eats it, just the meal after?

TIA!
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Allergy to potatoes ?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:13:49 am »
Our LOs can be allergic/intolerant to almost ANYTHING! From your description it's more likely an intolerance - her tummy just isn't digesting/handling the potatoes right now. I'd hold off with them for a while and try again when she's 11 months (which is when many doctors are starting to think babies develop gut maturity).

Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 11:25:24 am »
I agree, that while potato may seem a totally harmless type food, anything has the potential to cause a reaction/intolerance for whatever reason. And for those people looking at you strangely - there is always a first time, to them it may seem a "normal" food, but it's just that they haven't encounted it *yet*.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 14:20:17 pm »
Bravo Nikki!!!!!!!  Well said!   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 06:55:30 am »
Funnily enough my lo eats all the fruit and veg we've tried with him....except potato (and we live in N Ireland, the land of the humble spud!).

It's the only food he's actually spat back in my face.

Offline lrbmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 18:56:35 pm »
My daughter has loved every vegetable I've given her so far except potato, which she absolutely refuses to eat and even gags on it - it seemed like an odd one for her to hate, being so bland and all, but maybe not...

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 19:10:12 pm »
Maybe its the consistency - it looks really weird when you stick it through a blender.

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 19:16:04 pm »
My daughter has loved every vegetable I've given her so far except potato, which she absolutely refuses to eat and even gags on it - it seemed like an odd one for her to hate, being so bland and all, but maybe not...

Yep, it's not a good vege to give on it's own, it is really sticky if overblended. I found if you mash it without overdoing it, it is a bit better. Try mixing it with apple puree to see if she prefers it that way (or some other food that you've already tried).

Offline LisbonMom

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 09:47:00 am »
Thanks for the input.

We'll try again later around her first birthday!
Sara

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 17:43:49 pm »
I was told to avoid potato for the first year, and any other member of the deadly nightshade family for that matter. I haven't, and I can't remember what other veggies are in this family, but it was one of the (enormous) list of things to watch out for.
Katie

Offline LisbonMom

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 20:08:16 pm »
Nightshades are potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes and peppers. They contain potential neurotoxins and can be harmful to kids with neurological issues. I sure hope this isn't the case with lo  :P .....
Sara