Author Topic: feed at even intervals?  (Read 828 times)

Offline numberonenole

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 26, 2006, 16:05:46 pm »
My 17 week old has always taken 45 minute naps. It was easy to follow EASY at first because he needed to eat so often, but now that he is older the short naps mean he is still eating every 2 1/4 hours or so. From reading through different posts and the FAQ it seems like I should be feeding him every 3-4 hours no matter how long he sleeps...but this means he is not following EASY. If I fed him based on 3 1/2 hours between eating it would be more of a EASAEAS which has no consistancy associated with it. Isn't that the whole point? To know what to expect next? By the way, he stays awake for 1 1/2 hours. Any thoughts? I guess when I change it will have to be a gradual shift from eating every 2 1/4 to 3 1/2 which means even more confusion for a while. Oh boy! Thanks as always for your help!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: feed at even intervals?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 17:11:40 pm »
Yes, you want to keep the feed times as close to the same as possible.  This part of the EASY cycle might help the S fall into place.  However, continue to work on teaching him to sleep past the 45 min cycle and stretch his naps.  If he is used to eating every 2.25 hrs, you might have to stretch him slowly, but assuming he was not premature or low birth weight, he should have no problem taking feeds 3.5-4 hrs apart.  He'll simply consume more at each feeding.
How is his awake time?

Edited to add:
I just found this post that had some similar concerns to yours:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=66980.0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 17:22:25 pm by HeatherC »
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline numberonenole

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 21:15:32 pm »
Thanks for your reply! I have started extending his feeding times, but now we are are no type of routine. We had a EASAESASE kinda day. I'm confused as to when it's time for him to sleep as compared to eat! I set a clock for the feeding times finally so I wouldn't miss that. His hunger cues aren't very obvious because he just started chewing on his fingers and drooling all the time. Does it matter that we are not on any type of routine?

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: feed at even intervals?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 00:49:02 am »
The routine BW encourages is that you have regular cycles of feeding, a bit of play time appropriate to the lo's age, then sleeping.  It doesn't matter if while sleep training that you might have EASASE or some other variation.  Basically, you want your lo to feel secure in knowing what is coming next throughout the day.  You want to guide him while still watching for his cues into a more predictable pattern throughout the day.  It won't all happen at once.  Keep at it, you'll do great!
A tip would be that for his age, he can probably handle 1.5-1.75 hrs of A time, so he will need a nap after being awake that long each time.  So, if he, for example, eats at 7 am, he'll want a nap by 8:30/8:45.  If his nap is only 45 mins and you can't resettle him, then he's up at 9:15/9:30, feed between 10:30 and 11, quick change or cuddle so that you then put him back down awake.  I realize that the typical A time isn't all coming after the E, but that's what happens with short nappers.  Tracy stressed that while sleep training, continue trying to resettle as long as you have the strength for without overly upsetting the lo or until the next E time, feed, very quick A time, then try for the nap again.  Still, you'll need to continue working on extending the nap again, or you might have 2 S periods before the next E.  However, I will say that some short nappers stay awake from the end of their nap until the next E and another full A time period.  It just depends on your lo's temperment and sleep requirements.
How's his night sleep?  Can you lay out the routine you had today?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007