Author Topic: 5 mo. old Early Waking (Now 5am); Overtired in the Evenings  (Read 1405 times)

Offline mommyash220

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 5 mo. old ds is now waking earlier than usual--wide awake and wanting to play.  He was getting to the point where he'd sleep from 7pm-7am and even until 7:45, but the past 4 days, he has woken up consistently earlier:  first it was 6:45, then 6:30, 6:00 and now 5 am this morning!!! 
The past 4 days, he's been overtired in the evenings and is wanting to go to sleep at 6pm instead of 7pm.  We feed him solids (1 or 2 tsps) at 5:30 but by 5pm he has become really fussy and doesn't want to eat--too fussy.  I then switched gears and decided to give him a bath to help him relax. This works and he's usually relaxed, but wants to go to sleep right after which is too early.  The first 2 days, I kept him up and by the time it was bedtime, he was way too overtired and wouldn't settle for over an hour.  The second 2 days, I let him catnap in DH's arms for about 10-15 min at 6pm, but he still wouldn't settle when he came time for 7pm bedtime and it took 45 min to get him to sleep.  He used to go to sleep by the clock between 6:45-7pm--no problems! Now, something is going on and I can't quite figure it out.  So, I'm thinking him being overtired by 5pm, taking a late catnap is having something to do with his early waking.  what do you think?  Also, when he woke at 5am today he wanted to eat.  I held him off as long as i could--until 5:30am.  Now, I'm hoping he doesn't think he can wake up everymorning at 5:30 to eat!!
This was his old routine which worked quite well:
E Wake 7-7:30am and BF, pears at 9am
S 10:00-10:45
E 11am 8oz formula
S 1:00-1:45
E 3:00 8oz formula
S around 4:00-4:30 (30 min nap)
E solids 5:30
A Bath 6:00pm
E 6:30 8oz formula
S 7pm
E DF (actually, he wakes on his own) 10:30-10:45 (BF)

any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 5 mo. old Early Waking (Now 5am); Overtired in the Evenings
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 16:37:18 pm »
Is it possible to move the solids to lunch time?  sometimes when you are just starting solids it can affect night sleep, especially cereal.

Also is it really dark in his room?  I found that made a huge difference with my boys. 

Does he give you hungry signals at 5:30 or is he just awake?

Offline mommyash220

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 17:14:33 pm »
yes, it is possbile to move the solids to lunch. he does fine with breakfast solids--maybe it's just too late in the day and he's just too cranky.  I will try that.  what time should I give lunch?  I nurse at 7, give breakfast (pears) at 9, formula at 11. 
yes, his room is totally dark--especially at 5:30am.  Yes, gives hunger signals--rooting.  Update:  today he woke up at 4am--it just keeps getting earlier and eariler.  and yes, showed hunger signals at 4am as well.  so, I went ahead and nursed him, although I've stopped nursing through the night about one month ago...???
I feel like he shouldn't be hungry b/c he's taking 24oz of formula, I nurse him mornings and for the DF, and he nurses for about 10-15 min both times.  so, I think he's getting adequate nutrition.  In addition he's taking the little bit of solids we give that should fill his tummy.  could it be a growth spurt?
thanks for all of your help.

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 19:21:11 pm »
It might be. I know lots of mums who had a sleeping blip at around 4-5 months, with babies who used to sleep well just got up earlier and earlier, I know I posted loads myself on here about it. In the end, Caspar has just sorted himself out and at 7 months will sleep 11 hours, so 7-6. I hope it happens sooner for you and wish I had more advice.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 20:09:38 pm »
I would try to get more into him during the day.  you can either increase his bottles or his solids.  if he is waking hungry then I would feed him.  he could also be having his 6 month growth spurt early

Right and you could do the cereal at 12, 1 hour after the bottle if you want to move it.  Although it doesn't sound like the cereal is the culprit.

Offline mommyash220

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:52:48 am »
thanks WIKI for the words of encouragment.  Lana:  I will try to give him more solids.  At breakfast he seems like he could probably eat more pears, but I usually just stop with 2 tsp for now.  He is however taking ALL of his 8oz bottles--he's a big baby--8.15 at birth and now about 17lbs--will try loading him up on more solids since that is the ultimate goal :).  thanks to all for the advice.

Update:  I moved his solids to lunch time--this was better for him as he wasn't as cranky and took all of his sweet pototoes :)  However, DH let him take an 1 1/2 nap in his arms between 4:15-5:45pm! SO...we just pushed everything back, gave him his bath at 6:30, bottle at 7, wide down while mommy and daddy watched Big Brother ;) and bed time at 8:00pm.  He went down great with no problems.  Sleeping now---so we'll see how the night goes...
thanks again!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 14:49:45 pm »
No worries ;D.  Keep us posted ;D