Author Topic: too much milk??  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:31:19 am »
How much is too much?  My 13 mo old usually has 3x8oz bottles a day (usually b/w 20-24oz). B/c of teething this last week (2bottom eye teeth and molar) he is waking at night.  We try to comfort him,rock him, he gets Advil before bed.  Nothing soothes him and then we try a bottle of milk annd he downs it and goes right to sleep :o  He usually has water with meals and bottles before naps (not in bed downstairs before nap).  With his nightbottle he is drinking 24-30 oz/day when he has been waking.  I have tried water and he'll drink a full sippy of this and still want milk.  Is it a growth spurt?  Teeth?

I don't want to give him too much milk.
He is about 25lbs and eats all meals well except breakfast:

breakfast- 1/2 toast or waffle, fruit pieces, baby yoghurt, 1/3-2/3 banana, nutrios
lunch-7T mix pasta/cheese, veg and meat (usu eats 5-6T), yoghurt and 2T fruit
before nap--nutrios
snack afternoon- arrowroot/mum mum and fruit pieces with water
supper same as lunch plus cookie

How do I fix this or do I just go with the flow?  He wasn't doing this prior to the teething..he was sleeping through the night.  Any suggestions? 

Sabine

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 15:10:41 pm »
Need advice...please help.

Sabine

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
Re: too much milk??
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 03:23:32 am »
My friend, a pediatric resident, says no more than 16 oz of cow's milk per day.  This is because cow's milk actually causes tiny fissures in the digestive systems of little ones, which leak out iron, so too much milk can make them iron deficient.  I've always had the problem of dd taking in far too little milk (less than 8 oz) rather than too much, so I've never had that worry.  But it ca be easy for toddlers to take in too much, especially if they're still on the bottle.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 05:13:46 am »
Lauren x

Offline NikiJ

• Showing Appreciation 164
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:13:06 am »
Sorry Sabine.  Don't know how your post was missed.  It didn't show up on my unread topics until today.

My dd has 18oz a day but its formula coz she doesn't like cows milk.  Is your lo drinking cow's milk or formula?

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 13:32:06 pm »
Cow's milk...I have been trying to limit his intake to no more than 24 oz per day.
What are you guys doing?

Sabine

Offline NikiJ

• Showing Appreciation 164
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 18:03:38 pm »
My dd has 6oz in the morning with b-fast, then 4-6oz before nap (I try and cut this down as much as possible) & then 6oz before bed.  The rest of the time I give her water.  Have you tried cutting his bottles down in size??  When does your lo get his first bottle?  I know the other 2 are before nap & bed. 

If he gets it with b-fast, I'd offer him less as he has a good b-fast anyway.  At nap time, I'd try giving him an oz less every week until you're happy with how much he is drinking.

Niki

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 01:03:44 am »
i'll give it a try and let you know how i make out..thanks.

sabine ;D

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 02:13:25 am »
My dd is 14 months old and my pediatrician wants me to get rid of all bottles and offer milk only in the cup.  She takes a straw cup well with water, but not for milk.  She was on three bottles, and now I am only doing one bottle (at bedtime).  Her milk intake had decreased dramatically.  Before she was having about 18 oz a day of soy milk/formula. Now only about 6 oz.  Granted, I just took away the bottles but this worries me.  She does eat yogurt at lunch and dinner but I just feel she is not getting enough milk!!!  Is anyone else being told to get rid of bottles completely at this age?

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 12:23:56 pm »
Lucy's mom... my lo is the same way.  He'll take water from a sippy but not milk and certainly not with meals so I am stuck too.  Any advice out there??

Sabine

andibig

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 12:40:55 pm »
Lucys mom (hi sabine-again!!!)

why does your ped want you to drop the btls for? was it because they thought she was taking too much milk?
DD still has two btls (morning and evening) and she will not have milk with her meals!! she will not take milk unless in a btl ::). but i've chosen not too worry about it as there are plenty of other ways to get milk into her (cereals etc). IMO she will drop the btls when shes ready (i think tracey said that most will drop them around 2 yrs of their own accord) and drink out of her straw cup.

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 00:44:27 am »
Melissa -
All doc's in this area are so adamant about dropping the bottles at a year.  I thnk the reasoning is that at this age they have less of an attachment to the bottle, and will resist less.  Also, bottle drinkers are more prone to ear infections, and bottle rot on their teeth.  Their advice is good, but they take too hard of a line on it.  My boy, at 2 1/2, is still a baby :)  He will drink water from a cup with no lid, but not milk.  He does use his sippy of milk for comfort, and frankly, I'm not about to take that away from him yet.  Especially since he eats no cheese, no yogurt, no broccoli, nothing else that has calcium.

If that's what's considered weaning, we still haven't done it.  Nathan drinks an ENORMOUS amount of milk in his sippy cups.  I actually recently changed sippy types (and there is a post from me here too! ;)) hoping he'd drop down a bit....and he has.  He's now at what I'd consider a respectable amount for him, and it's around 30 ounces a day. (down from FIFTY!!! :o :o :o).

Of course, he was switched to 2% well before his 2 year birthday because he drinks so much.

Anyways, guess my point is, if you can do it now and supplement with something else for calcium, go for it.  If you don't feel comfortable, I personally don't beleive it's such a rush!  They're still babies!!

(MHO, of course...I'm sure other's will disagree!)
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 02:16:57 am »
Yup, it just seems like the pediatrician thinks that it is taboo to have a child still on bottles at this age.  Thanks for letting me know that this is maybe an Ohio-thing, Tonya!  I am so torn about what to do....  I don't feel she is ready to give up her bedtime bottle and neither am I.   :-[  I just love giving her her bottle in the dark in the rocker at the end of the day.  The other bottles (one in the am and one in the pm) I am not so sure about.  This is so mind-boggling!!!! 

I remember a post from Tammy:Ethan's Mom about getting off bottles and onto sippies. I might pm her and see what worked for her. 

To complicate things, we will be leaving Lucy here with my SIL for 8 days in September when we go to England and Wales for a wedding.  So if I am going to make a change, I should be doing it now and being really proactive.  But I just can't decide what to do and what is best.  She can't have cheese because she has a milk allergy, and so her principal source of calcium is soy milk.  There is soy yogurt but it has refined sugar in it.......

ARGH!!!!!!!!!! >:(  Ok, so before my head explodes, I will stop here.  Thanks for "listening"!  :-\

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 16:08:31 pm »
We switched Nathan from bottles to sippy's by using the Nuby sippies you get a Wal-Mart.  They have a soft spout, but in sippy shape.  They are also formed a bit more like a bottle than a regular cup.  What is the advantage of that?  Don't know.  But that's what we did, and he took to them without a second thought!!!

We just recently switched to the hard spout Nuby, which is a normal sippy cup.  That's what caused his milk intake to decrease (which he NEEDED!).  He'll drink water out of a cup with no problem, but really likes to be able to lean back or lay down and drink his milk.

Anyways, check those things out...they're literally 98 cents a piece at Wal-Mart or K-mart!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06