Author Topic: no more night feeds?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
no more night feeds?
« on: July 27, 2006, 15:47:54 pm »
my ds 26 weeks has been waking in the night for 25weeks out of his 27weeks, iykwim.
anyway i have spent ten days watering down his night feeds and then on sunday stopped altogether, the problem is he is still waking 2 times at night, some nights its say 10pm and 4am, but then varies last night was 12.30 am and 4 am up at 7 am, the problem i think may be connected to teething when he wakes i have been applying teething gel and giving him a dummy (which he has never had till this week)?
Is there a small chance that he will stop waking altogether or will i now have to get up just to resettle?
I am super chuffed that he is no longer needing a feed at night, he is eating much better in the day and having about 28oz milk and 2 lots of solids, doing very well with the weaning.
I guess i thought now he didnt need a feed he would no longer wake up, he has gone 4 nights now with no feed, do u think he may just need a few more nights to adjust?
thank you for reading
emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: no more night feeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 16:29:23 pm »
Emma, I love your avatar!  8)

After we ended the night feed, DS still woke at the same time for a bit, I assume out of habit. It can take some time to iron out the adjustment. You can speed that up by trying W2S if he's waking at the same time each night.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 16:31:23 pm »
Mine still wakes up from time to time and hasn't had anight feed since he was 6 months old.  I think it just takes time for them to get used to not getting up KWIM?

Offline macsmum

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 18:54:20 pm »

Oh good so i dont need to give up hope just yet then, the problem now is i think i have created a prop with the dummy to assist him to get back to sleep, although he spits it out as soon as he is asleep say 5 mins later?
what do u think? i am slightly confused at him taking the dummy now at this late stage, i have been trying to get him to take a dummy since we found out he had reflux at 3 weeks thought it may help but he would never take it ???

oh well i cant complain it now only takes 2 mins when io get up then its back to bed for me ;D and he is doing way better than the girls.

Thanks
Emma

Offline Maeve

• Showing Appreciation 92
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 19:00:24 pm »
Nice to see you Emma!
Our Cathal, also with reflux used to be really easy to settle with the soother. You just stuck it in his mouth and stuck him in the cot, no wind down no nothing, but for ages wouldn't take it any more. This week he has ben dreadfully unsettled and DH suggested soother, and I told him he would't take them any more but tried  it anyway. He is now asleep!! Flat on his back!
He is not being fed at night any more but is still waking, I will try soother too tonight. I think Tracy said if it pops out and you don't have to go back in to put it back, i.e., they are still asleep, then it's not a prop, it's self soothing.
Maeve, mother to:
Con, full of fun (22nd may 2004)
Cathal "I'll do it" (9th february 2006) and
Sophie 'so far so good' (31st august 2007).

Offline macsmum

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 20:27:55 pm »

hi maeve,
good to know we r getting there with our lo's, i am just so happy not to have to feed it was starting to get me down, and he is so much younger at giving up the night feeds than his sisters they were both 2+yrs, but i think that they had major accidental parenting ;D anything for an easy life me ;D
but not any more, its funny about the soother isn't it thank god he finally takes 1 dh thought id wasted too much money as i bought them in all shapes and sizes trying to get ds to take 1.

good luck for tonight
Emma

Offline Maeve

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 19:09:24 pm »
Thanks Emma,
Well he didn't take the soother any morw, butwoke only twice and I cuddled him back to sleep in the cot. That's very good for him at the moment' fingers crossed for tonight!
Maeve, mother to:

Offline macsmum

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 16:50:58 pm »

How typical is this, we went home to lancashire this weekend and left the kids with my mum sat night while we had a well deseved night out, i got into bed at 2am sun morn and ds slept through from 8 till 7am ;D shame i never got the benefit of a few hours with no disturbance ???
heres to hoping he might actuallt do it again some day!

Emma

Offline Maeve

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 19:06:06 pm »
There's something about mothers isn't there? Well I mean our mothers, I keep forgetting I am one myself! My MIL could always get a lie in with our fella, and that was by accidental grandparenting! (Bottle in the cot)
Maeve, mother to:

Offline macsmum

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:32:19 am »

I told my mum to pack her bags she was coming with me ;D, although he did well last night 7.30pm till 5am, dummy then back to sleep till 7.15am. that will do for me.
Emma