Author Topic: shush/pat and PU/PD only make my son more frustrated  (Read 911 times)

Offline .:alexsmom:.

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
shush/pat and PU/PD only make my son more frustrated
« on: July 27, 2006, 17:49:40 pm »
Hi,

My son is 17 weeks old and has 3 or 4 30 to 45 minute naps a day.  I had the BW book from the start and everything went smoothly until he was 12 weeks old (and naps became an issue).  We are on a 3.5 hour easy day that does not start at a consistent time ( I realize that this is part of the problem).  I am consistent with his bedtime of 7:30, if he lasts that long (routine starts at 7 pm).  He gets up at 10 pm, 2 pm and 6 pm to breastfeed.

My questions are as follows:
1) How long should I wait until I put him down in the morning?  Often he is fussy 30 minutes after he is up for the day.

2) I use to do shush pat for 30 minutes to an hour.  We both cried due to frustration and that's when I started to lose faith in the BW.  I was taking the approach that I need to get him down consistently for naps and decided to wait to fix the 45 minute nap issue.  When I put him down, he never looks drowsey but decides to get all excited and try to engage me.  I think that this is the reason why shush pat does not work for me anymore.  I do not have the heart for CIO but I decided to put him down with a lovey and leave the room to see what would happen.  He fusses a bit and I return every once and a while to rub his back for a minute or so.  It still takes 30 minutes to a hour but neither of us gets frustrated or cries.  I tried PU/PD but he does not settle , instead he gets more and more upset.  Should I continue with what I am doing or is there some other way to get him to fall asleep easier?  I have a dehumidifier in his room for white noise and his windows have cardboard over them.  I tried accidental parenting (rocking, walking, breastfeeding) and that does not work either.

3) At the moment, I put him down when I first notice he is tired.  Should I try to put him down before that time after tracking his tired times for a few days?

Any advice would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 19:02:11 pm by .:alexsmom:. »

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: shush/pat and PU/PD only make my son more frustrated
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 18:29:18 pm »
Question: is he 17 months or 17 weeks?  :)

Offline .:alexsmom:.

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: shush/pat and PU/PD only make my son more frustrated
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 18:58:40 pm »
sheesh... thanks for pointing that out.  He is 17 weeks old not 17 months.

He woke me up a lot more than usual last night =)