Author Topic: TBW guide: Changing from bottle to trainer cup  (Read 24510 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: TBW guide: Changing from bottle to trainer cup
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 12:05:27 pm »
Beam79 how are you getting on with the trainer cup?

Natasha, I think if Catherine is taking the way she is without the valve then good on her, I wouldn't change it would be like going backwards.

Sorry for delay - I spilt coffee on my keyboard yesterday  ::) and had to buy a new one this morning!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:04:26 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 13:23:54 pm »
have you tried taking the valve out?

our lo would not, would not, would not drink from the cup.  i figured it might be because he didn't know how to suck on anything other than a bottle nipple.  we took out the valve and let it run out - bit of a disaster at first as he couldn't control the flow, so we just tipped it back before he took too much.  when he began sucking on it, we put the valve back in and he figured out what to do. 

it took about three months before we could use it exclusively.  we knew it was going well when he started taking a bit, and then every day he drank a little bit more.  i wonder if it has something to do with them learning how to use different muscles in their mouths? 

good luck, just keep trying. 

NYCKelly

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 19:21:53 pm »
I have a question for you all....

Before introducing the cup to your LO did they used to hold onto the bottle/feed themselves?

Reason why I'm asking is that my DS is 10.5 months and she doesn't feed herself or hold onto the bottle.  Right now she has no desire for the bottle.  She doesn't want to drink her formula with her bottle and when she drinks from it she drinks 1 to 3 ounces.  So we tried the trainer cup and she doesn't care for it either.   Could her lack of enthusiasm be from teething? Right now she's getting all her top front teeth at the same time.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 20:04:41 pm »
HI

No he wasn't able to hold a bottle himself. I gave him it to play with filled with 1oz of milk in it (when he was 4.5months old) and he figured it out on his own eventually after every part of the cup went in his mouth.

Tonight I put the rest of his milk from the bottle in his sippy and I held it while he took the rest.
Lauren x

NYCKelly

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 00:16:05 am »
I must try that.  Well...I have but I should be more persistent. Last time I did it she took the cup put her mouth all over it and then tossed it on the floor.

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 08:05:18 am »
I read an article that said;

the AVENT magic trainer cup and the Tommee Tippee Easyflow Drinking System is BRITISH DENTAL HEALTH FOUNDATION APPROVED.

Another article goes on to say that;

Using a cup will help keep babies teeth and gums healthy because the fluid spends less time in contact with teeth and gums but, even so it's best to avoid sugary drinks because they can cause tooth decay. If you do give juice, give occasionally and dilute as much as possible.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 11:20:59 am »
Some more info I was given recently by my HV;

Lauren x

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 19:10:29 pm »
I've just come across this post.  I tried every type of sippy cup that had handles, avent magic spout, avent other sippys, tommy tippee etc, then someone suggested a straw cup.  I could only find one without handles.  Guess what, she took to it like a duck to water. She loves it.  She has a couple of times drank a whole beaker of water.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 07:02:46 am »
I also started Calum on a staw cup last week, during our holiday he much prefered drinking from our water bottles than his sippy  ::)  So I bought him a trainer straw cup when we got home.

He even took his milk out of it one morning, when I had run out of bottles.....

.....From experience is better to start giving your baby milk in a cup as soon as you can to get them use to it. At 12months someone LO's bottle free and are taking milk in a cup.

The cup challenge

To ease the transition from breast or bottle to cup, Professor Wolke suggests letting your child bite with his gums, suck and otherwise manipulate an empty cup or trainer cup starting at about six months. When your baby becomes accustomed to playing with it, offer him water or diluted juice in a cup at snack time. It should help ease the weaning process for both of you.

pampers.com

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 12:16:28 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x