Author Topic: Help - Angel baby doesn't sleep anymore  (Read 833 times)

Offline Jodiejo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 27, 2006, 21:07:40 pm »
Can anyone give advice on my 8 mo old suddenly (aout 6 weeks ago now) starting to wake in the night having slept all night since birth, despite being breastfed? From reading other posts, I'm aware that some babies go through a shift at 6 months and it also coincided with me returning ro work and introducing a bottle (she wouldn't take a bottle up to that point) although I'm still breastfeeding morning and night and at this point through the night. Ive read the BW solves all your problems book andunderstand that waking the same time every night is habitual and eratic is hunger - thing is: she started waking the same time every night but was still taking a full feed, so I was afraid to do wake to sleep in case she was genuinely hungry and then she started waking more than once a night and twice this week she is waking every hour. I know my milk supply has decreased due to less feeding so she can't be getting that much during the night. I just don't know what to do. I'm so sleep deprived. I know she went through a number of changes with the intro of the bottle and me going back to work, but I'd like to get passed this. I'm on holidays from next week and am prepared to move into her room to do wake to sleep and pu/pd for as long as it takes as long as she's not genuinely hungry. I'm trying to increase he intake during the day (I was leaving dinner too late in the evening and not allowing toime for cluster feeding). Her naps aren't great either. She could sleep half an hour one day and an hour the next - never much more than that. As far as her personality goes she's alway pleasant and smiley for everyone, so I don't feel she's grumpy. Although it takes her 20 mins to settle for most sleeps. I just wanted a bit of advice/moral support before I start.
Any opinions?

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Help - Angel baby doesn't sleep anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:54:07 am »
Could you post your routine please.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Jodiejo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help - Angel baby doesn't sleep anymore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:51:10 am »
Ok, I'm making some modifications to this (I'll put them in brackets) so that I am increasing her food intake during the day, but up until now it's pretty much been:

7am:  breastfeed 10-15 mins(not necessarily the first of the day 7am was always her wake up time up to this)
8-8.30: breakfast (I'm trying to keep this as near to 8am as possible so that she's hungry enough for a bottle at 11)
9.30/9.45 nap (including 20 mins settling time)
11.00: formula usually around 6 oz, trying to increase this a bit by keeping breaskfast early
12.30-1: lunch (I'm going to bring this back to 12, again so she's hungry enough for bottle at 3)
1.30 nap (including 20mins settling time)
3.00 6 oz formula (see 11am)
6 dinner (I'm going to bring this right back to 4 and maybe introduce another bottle at 6)
6.45 bath
7 breastfeed
7.15/7.45 bedtime (usually read a story, have a cuddle sometimes give a little massage after bath but not always)

The waking starts around mindnight and continues through the night.
Should I introduce a dream feed or is she too old and should be able to last? She never had dream feeds because she always slept the whole night once she went down (although that was usually 8pm, and I wasn't doing EASY, was feeding her to sleep etc)
Also, I feel that feeding her during the night is prolonging the naptime routines because I'm being inconsistent. During the day and at bedtime I'm doing pu/pd to settle her and then at night I'm just feeding, so apart from anything else I think I'm confusing her and she  would probably settle quicker for naps if I got thw whole night time thing sorted.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Jo