Author Topic: 13 month old nap schedule - HELP!  (Read 7103 times)

Offline Critter

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
13 month old nap schedule - HELP!
« on: July 27, 2006, 23:22:46 pm »
My son used to take two naps like clockwork.  He'd wake at 6:45, nap from 8:30 or 9 until 10 or so, have another nap from 1:30 or 2 until 3.  A few weeks ago, he started acting like he wanted to drop a nap.  If he had a good long morning nap (sometimes 2 hours long) he wouldn't take the afternoon nap.  Or, he would skip the morning nap all together and then be completely zonked by 1.  So, I started transitioning him to one nap.  For a few days, he would only sleep for an hour and a half.  I think that going from almost 4 hours of daytime sleep to an hour and a half wasn't enough.  Plus, his little eyes stayed red and sleepy.  I just never felt like he slept enough.  Finally, for a couple of days, he took a good two and a half hour nap from 12 - 2:30 and woke up happy and went to bed at 7 as usual.

Yesterday and today, I have had to work hard to keep him awake at about 10:30.  Today he slept from 12 - 1:30 and at 3 he was so completely out of control tired that I put him in his crib for what I thought was going to be a catnap.  Two and a half hours later, we BOTH woke up  :o

We've had a lot going on over here lately, but I've not deviated from his schedule (or what I think is his schedule.)  Should I try doing two naps, just moving them both later?  Maybe a 10:00 nap and a 3:00 nap?

We're moving in less than a week and the grandparents will have him for 5 days.  I'd like to do my best to give them a schedule to go by.

Any advice is appreciated. 
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
Re: 13 month old nap schedule - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 00:56:34 am »
you know I don't know. lol
We are going through the same thing here.
Jency did about 3 weeks straight of not going down until 1pm and taking a 2-3 hour nap.
But now after being sick and what not it is all messed up and he wants to go bac kto 2 naps.
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:07:15 am »
Both of your boys are quite young. The average for going to one nap is 15 months, although of course many do it around 13 months. Boys do tend to be a little later with that than girls though.

You may have times of going back and forth between one and two naps. And you may want to try wake-to-sleep to extend the nap should you try to perserve with one nap.

IMO, if you can get him to take two good naps and it doesn't affect him going down at night or cause other problems you may want to stick with it a little longer. Have you tried delaying the first nap until 9:30 or 10 am and limiting it to one hour?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 13:30:43 pm »
I would try keeping the 2 naps and letting them be a little later and see how that is working. It would more then likely be easier on g-parents to have 2 little breaks then one longer one anyway! And he will be adjusting to a different place and people so he'll probably want the extra naps. Do you have a couple days to try it out and see how he is doing?
It is the rare day when Caeden only does one nap - and it's only happened once or twice. And it doesn't seem to matter if the last nap is at 4:30 - he will still go down between 7-7:30.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 14:56:34 pm »
We went through virtually the same thing when we transitioned to one nap.  The only thing I can recommend is if he is tired in the morning then let him have a nap, but don't let it go beyond 45 minutes, then put him down for the afternoon one when he normally goes down. 

I know when we moved to one nap a day it was in the afternoon, but much earlier than it was when we were doing two naps.  Some days I would do lunch at 11:30 because he was so tired and then I would put him down as soon as he was done.  Now the afternoon nap is pretty solidly at 1pm.  (most days) 

There were a few weeks though where it was some days one nap, other days two. 

Good luck honey!

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 15:23:29 pm »
Thanks!!!

Yesterday he took his "one nap" from 12:00 - 1:30, but he was so tired at 3 that I just put him down again and he slept until 5:30!  He went down for the night at 8:30 (as opposed to the usual 7) and slept until almost 8.  I can deal with that!    So, this morning I put him in his crib at 10.  It's now 10:20 and he's quiet and every once in a while he sings, but I think he'll probably go down.  Then we'll have a late afternoon nap and just go to bed later.

I really like the two-nap schedule for as long as I can keep it!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 15:27:57 pm »

I really like the two-nap schedule for as long as I can keep it!

Me too!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 15:39:12 pm »
Same here - glad that worked out for you.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01