Author Topic: 3.5mo lots night wakings  (Read 667 times)

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
3.5mo lots night wakings
« on: July 28, 2006, 06:01:51 am »
My 3.5mo DS has started waking a number of times during the night - he can be resettled fairly easily so it's not hunger, and the wakings don't seem to happen at the same time each night.

Bedtime is 7:30ish and he used to sleep solidly until waking for a feed anytime from about a week ago -which is when I moved him from a 3-3.5hr easy to a 4hr easy. He's made the transition fine during the day, and is still only needing one feed per night - usually around 2-4am. I moved to 4hrs before he was 4mo old on advice from a breastfeeding 'consultant' and also my doctor who seemed to think it would help with his reflux a bit, giving him time to have an empty stomach between feeds and also to make him properly hungry for each feed in the hopes that he'd feed better with less bobbin on and off. It has helped the feeding (though he's not desperately hungry before each feed. He often wakes before his feed is due but can comfortably wait without getting upset), he is also finally sleeping for longer stretches during the day after being a consistent 45min napper since 3weeks  8) ;D hooray!!!

I'm sure it must be due to the slight change in schedule, but I don't know why he'd be waking so frequently - is he under or overtired?? Here's our schedule

E 7-7:30am
A 80ish mins incl feed
S 1.5-2hrs

E 11:00
A 80-90 mins incl feed (sometimes he'll wake early so some of this happens before his feed - I put him down for his sleep when he starts to fuss a bit and yawn)
S 1.5 - 2.5hrs (depending on how well he transitions between sleep cycles)

E 3:00
A 80-90 mins incl feed (again, often awake before E)
S 45min (very hard to get him to extend nap)
A 30minish

E 6:00 (small feed, not really hungry - I dropped this yesterday and he didn't bat an eyelid)
A 60-80min incl bath
E 7:00pm (20-30min)
Bedtime 7:30 (settles great. sometimes has a grizzle for a minute or so 1-2hr after bedtime but settles self)

somewhere between 12:30am- 2:00 Wake for no fathomable reason (not hungry), first time usually needs settling with paci. Further wakings (maybe 1 or 2) can often self settle after mantra cry for few minutes

2:00am-4am Wake for feed

generally sleeps till 7amish though sometimes wakes around 6ish, sometimes self settles, other times needs paci.

A few weeks ago he'd sleep really well between bedtime and his feed - even when he did a 10hr stretch. Last night I gave him the paci at 2am, sure he could last till 4am for his feed. I was expecting him to wake an hour later still hungry but he slept till 5:45am!! so I think he's been waking for his feeds earlier than necessary perhaps.
Anna