Author Topic: dream feed problem  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:04:42 am »
givind ds df between 11 and12 he is in bed from 7.  5 weeks old.  he isso sleepy he will only take 3oz then will wake 3hrs later.  what do you think wouldhappen if we justwaited to c what time he would wake without it as i wondered if we r just interupting his best stretch?

Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: dream feed problem
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 08:32:44 am »
Hi Fenella

Have you seen the DF faq section, you might find your answer there  :-\
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

Let me know if you still need us after
Lauren x

Offline R TULLOCH

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 22:50:40 pm »
Dream feeding can be very tricky, I personally hated doing it, but realised it was helping my baby sleep better, you have to spend up to 1 hour encouraging them to feed, gently, so you dont wake them up, you stroke their cheeks, blow on their face, rub their hands/ feet, stroke their hair, jiggle their cheek etc... keep stimulating them with these tactics, also when the teet is in the mouth and they have stopped sucking, pull it slightly out but not all the way and this can sometimes stimulate their sucking relfex, in many ways for a woman its counter intuitive, you feel concerned about feeding a baby whilst asleep, but I combated that by staying with my baby for 45 mins after each dream feed to ensure they were ok, kept them on my lap ready to jump into action if they were sick or choked, thankfully nothing has ever happened, and now I do the dream feed withing 5 minutes and leave the room within 20 minutes, the worst thing that ever happened was my baby had a spasm and she sicked up some milk - but she stayed alseep, wasnt in distress, just managed to cover me and her sleeping bag in milk.but slept on happily regardless.
Try the stimulating tricks to make your baby take more

Good luck

Offline Cohensmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cohen
Re: dream feed problem
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 16:13:18 pm »
The dream feed works for some babies and not for others.  It worked for us for about 3 weeks and then it was just causing night wakings.  Once I stopped the dream feed, my lo started sleeping from 6pm - 4-5am at first and now sleeps until almost 6am.  Maybe you should give it a try and see if your lo would do well without the dream feed.  The worse thing that could happen is that he wakes.

Good Luck

Michelle

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 16:01:18 pm »
The solves all your problems book has arrived (i only had secrets of).  there is a case study in there of someone in our situation and she advises you mustn' t do a df after 11pm as it breaks up there sleep. We will now try earlier and see what happens.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06