Author Topic: Easiest way to break a prop from 5 mo old  (Read 658 times)

Offline AidanandTylersmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Easiest way to break a prop from 5 mo old
« on: July 28, 2006, 13:09:47 pm »
LOL I know that may be a stupid question but we are having problems with Aidan and waking. It seems like he is looking for his paci. Before he was wanting to eat but I started giving him cereal during the day and that has helped alot. So do any of you have suggestions on how to take the paci's away from him altogether? I thought maybe start off slowly like take it away from his naps during the day and then at night? I need help  :(

How old is your child?5 months

What’s his/her daily routine?up at 7:30 eats 8oz
am nap at 9am up at 11 for 8oz
12:30-1:00pm nap up at 3:pm 8 oz
evening nap at 5ish then eats around 7-8 for night time bottle

****we have been stretching out the night time feedings to 10 pm to or we'll try to add in a feeding. But these times are pretty close to the same every day. And sometimes his evening nap doesn't happen or he only sleeps for a short time. Basically he's very tired between 8-9.***
What’s nap routine?
How long are naps?am is about an hour, afternoon 1hr 1/2

What's bedtime routine? Time?between 8-9pm

Do you bottle or breastfed??bottle

How much? or how long? I'd say no more then 32 oz in a day

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)

How many wakes per night?
usually at 3 or 4am but sometimes at 3am and then again at 4am

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? I don't know what an LO is?

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?he is crying

What have you tried to settle??only with the prop

What do you do for A time and how long is it?is A time alone time? Alone time with Aidan or alone time with me?

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?yes he received 2 teeth at exactly 3 months and he has 4 teeth on top but none have broken through.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)yes he has had cereal for a long time. He used to get it at night before bed but then we stopped to see how he was without it as far as sleeping and he was OK but then he was waking up very hungry so my ped told me to start solids and continue the cereal.

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?a paci

Do they have a lovie?I don't know what a lovie is?...no teddy bears or anything

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Easiest way to break a prop from 5 mo old
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 14:21:20 pm »
While you are waiting for some replies can I offer you this to look at.. its the FAQ section of our props board and there are a couple of threas about weaning from pacifiers..

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=90.0

I'm sorry I cant help you in more detail as my son still has his paci in the cot for naps and bedtime. He used to wake up a couple of times a night looking for his paci but instead of weaning him off it I just put a few of them in his cot with him so that it was easy to find one and pop one back in and drop off to sleep without needing us. This might be an alternative tactic for you.

Helen xxx

BTW A time is Activity time.. the time he plays, does things between eating and sleeping.

LO = Little One - your child

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 14:22:56 pm by Ennypen »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Easiest way to break a prop from 5 mo old
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 20:30:34 pm »
I was just going to post that very same link.

Some folks have also just gone cold turkey, and had success with it. As I understand you can expect a lot of protesting though! I guess you need to consider your options and decide what will work the best for you both  ;)  My DS also uses a soother/paci/whatever you call it, and for a while it was totally out of control with screaming fits every 30 minutes at night when he would lose it.  ::)  At that point it was obvious that we had to get rid of that thing. So we took it away, and for a few days he didn't even notice it was gone. But then, that third or fourth day it was like he realized... and wow was he mad! So we reintroduced it then, but in the crib only. And that's what we do still. It's not a prop, believe it or not. He is able to sleep without it and doesn't care if he loses it. But it does help that now he's old enough to find and replace it if he wants.

So anyway, don't be afraid to try different things and be creative!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o