Author Topic: Still Only Going 4 Hours  (Read 1176 times)

Offline janelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Still Only Going 4 Hours
« on: July 29, 2006, 00:04:32 am »
My ds is still only sleeping 4 hours at a time.  Sometimes if we are lucky he will go 5 but not often.  He has a dreamfeed at 11 and then wakes between 3&4 every morning.  I have tried just giving him his dummy and while he will go back to sleep very easy with it he will then wake up in another 30-40 minutes.  I tried doing this over the course of one week to see if it was habit or hunger and he kept waking every 30-45 mins until 7am when I fed him every night.  He also will pretty much drain a bottls so I think it is hunger.  But shouldn't he being doing longer stretches by now or is this normal?????

How old is your child?    4.5 mths
What’s his/her daily routine?   4 hour easy 7, 11, 3,  7,
What’s nap routine?    naps at 9, 1 and catnap at 5
How long are naps?    first 2 are 2 hours catnap 30 - 45mins
What's bedtime routine? Time?   bedtime 7:30.  Routine very short, cuddle, rock a bit with dummy to settle and then put into cot while still awake
Do you bottle or breastfed??    bottle
How much? or how long?     around 100-150mls (4-6oz) per feed
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night?   just the 11pm and 3 am
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  Just long enough to feed then straight back down
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?   fussing that soon turns to full on cry if not tended to.
What have you tried to settle??    patt/shh  dummy
What do you do for A time and how long is it?    A time is 2 hours. 
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  possibly teething??? but don't think this is affecting sleep yet
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)   no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?   dummy
Do they have a lovie?  no
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline somadevi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 15:54:35 pm »
I'm having the exact same problem with my daughter!  She wakes around 3:00am and is very restless.  I reswaddle but by the time I get her resettled, she's getting hungry and wants to eat by 4:00am.  She has a dreamfeed around 10:45pm.  I'm breastfeeding and give her a big feed from 6:00-6:45pm and then she's in bed at 7:00pm, so she's going almost 5 hours between the last feed and the dreamfeed, but she can't do that same stretch into the evening.  She was sleeping 6 hours when she was 2 months old, so I know she can do it!  Her schedule is almost exactly the same, except she doesn't use a dummy and is learning to suck her fingers during nap time.

I would love to learn what's going on and how to change this night waking.  I was up with her for a hour last night getting her re-swaddled, using pat/shh and she was definitley not hungry when she first woke up, but by the time I gave up, she was ready to eat. I know she would eat at 3:00am when she first woke up, but that's only 4 hours from her last feed.  Once or twice she's gone all the way until 4:30am without waking, so she can go longer without eating but just isn't. 

Help!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Still Only Going 4 Hours
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 17:47:55 pm »
Well my #2 actually still needed a night feed up until 6 months.  It looks to me like he is hungry esp seeing as how he is waking again within an hour and is settling fine once he is fed.

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 18:08:53 pm »
We've been extremely fussy from 4-6 am lately, not wanting to eat, sleep, be held, anything.  :(

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:23:31 am »
I think I agree with you Lana.  He is pretty much draining a full bottle!!!  I don't mind the waking if I know he is hungry was just wondering if that is "normal" at this age not to be able go any longer than 4 hours.  I guess it is :)  Thanks  I uppose I should jut be happy that he goes straight back to sleep after! ;)
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 15:08:51 pm »
No worries Janelle. I think sometimes we get wrapped up in what we "think" is normal ;D