Author Topic: Waking 5 hrs after going to bed  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Waking 5 hrs after going to bed
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:24:42 am »
DD had been mostly sleeping through the night for a few months, except for times when she was obviously teething. We usually put her to bed around 8pm, and she'll wake usually between 5:30am to 6:30am.

Lately, she has been waking about 5 hrs after we put her to bed, between 12:30am to 1:30am. At first we thought it was the freak heat wave we were having, but now that the weather has cooled back down, she's still waking up at night. I don't think she's teething, since she doesn't show a lot of drool like she usually does while she is teething.

What I'm wondering is.... could she be waking due to teething even though she isn't showing signs of teething (drool, finger in mouth)??

This is wearing me down.  :'(  She wakes up crying. I have to pick her up and hold/walk her until she settles back to sleep before I can put her down, which can be an hour later. Putting her down while she is still awake/drowsy has never worked for us (except at the 8pm bedtime).  :-\ 

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Waking 5 hrs after going to bed
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 16:12:11 pm »
Does she have her one year molars yet?  They took a while to come in for E but bothered him before they broke through.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 17:27:26 pm »
No molars yet, although we thought she was working on them a long time ago, they just never appeared. She only has 4 top teeth, 4 bottom teeth, all of them are in front (incisors & lateral incisors). Hmmm... so I guess they could be her first molars.

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 00:14:41 am »
I would keep an eye out for them.  Can you feel any bumps at all.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:30:12 am »
I'll have to take a lookie tomorrow since we've already put her in bed. She woke up at 1am last night :(  and wouldn't settle back to sleep after I held and walked her around for over an hour. I was so tired and my shoulder hurt (her head is so much heavier than when she was a newborn!) that I had to put her down. She screamed bloody murder for 10 minutes or so and fell asleep. I really hate doing that, but I had to. 

DH & I want to have baby #2 sometime soonish. Everytime I have to hold/walk DD around at night, I wonder, how in the world would I manage it while I was preggy?!  ???

It's hard to feel her gums as she doesn't usually like us sticking our fingers in there. And since she has teeth, she chomps down too. Ouch. Unfortunately the best time to get a good look in her mouth is when she's wailing and has her mouth open wide as a result.  :-\

Hmmm... I wonder which molar will pop out. We've suspected the lower right for a long time, even before her first tooth came out. It's like it was teasing us, kinda showing itself, then going away. We thought that would have been her first tooth. I'm guessing this would be the molar to come out first.

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 17:36:17 pm »
To feel for the molars I would put my finger in rom the side at the corner of his mouth so it wasn't in between any of his teeth ;D

As far as number two little ones change so much so quickly that is may never be an issue while you are pregnant.

Did you stay with her while she was crying?  I know with E I was better off to just stand by his crib and not pick him up cause he woudl be more upset if I did pick up and then put him back down

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 20:57:41 pm »
I wish I had that problem of not being able to pick up DD from her crib. She's just the opposite of E then, cuz she gets even more upset if I don't pick her up.

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 20:59:44 pm »
Have you tried to soothe her but leave her in the crib?  I thought the same thing but realised one time when I didn't take him out that he calmed quicker.  B is the same as well.  Once I pick up I need to make sure he is SUPER calm before he goes back down.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 03:21:18 am »
I've tried soothing her while she's still in the crib, it has never worked. :(  She just ends up screaming louder in rage at not being picked up. She has a way of "demanding" to be picked up, and gets upset if we don't comply.  Like you said, I have to make her SUPER calm before I can put her back down again. Wonder if it is too late to try the soothe in crib thing...

What things did you do to soothe your sons while they're still in the crib?

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 23:48:28 pm »
Well with E it took a while and there was a lot of crying but we would just stand next to the crib at first with a hand on him and tell him that it was still sleep time.  The longer we did it the easier it got until eventually we only had to go in lay him down tell him it was sleep time and leave.  If he was really distressed and was not feeling well or teething then we would pickhim up.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 03:43:48 am »
Sigh... the "training" period for these things is always so painful ... for both baby & me.  :'(  DH is so much better with this sort of thing. And then I always worry about disturbing the neighbors since I'm sure they can hear my baby cry. It's like sound amplifies at night.

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 13:57:00 pm »
Quote (selected)
It's like sound amplifies at night.

Isn't that the truth.  If dh has an easier time it may be better to send him in.  She may settle quicker and then it is less painful for all involved.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 15:27:45 pm »
DH generally has an easier time getting her to settle (she's like two different babies with us), but I usually don't wake him up since I know he's tired from his long day & commute at work unless we're having a really bad night waking during the weekend.  DH tends to give it a try for a shorter time than I would, and then he'll plop her in the playpen to cry/sort it out on her own.  :o So even when DH does nighttime baby duty, I'm usually lying awake in bed waiting to see what will happen with her. I have a hard time relaxing & falling asleep anyways. :(

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 16:08:04 pm »
Have you ruled out the teething?  If so I would try the soothing in the crib.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 16:54:23 pm »
No, I haven't ruled out teething. I felt the gums and they do feel a bit bumpy to me. I think she's working on them, but I think the worst of it must be over?

Fortunately, it's been 5 nights since her last night waking.

7 night wakings within the last 17 nights, 5 of which were within 7 consutive nights, yeah, that was a rough week for us.

Marie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 23:52:12 pm »
It took us a while to get the molars through so it could still affect her for a bit.  That is good that there are bumps at least now you know what it was.