Author Topic: 7mos old-even more trouble  (Read 1227 times)

Offline neon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 29, 2006, 19:03:26 pm »
hi, i can't find my previous posts but- it's been so long it's not true anymore. i necer had time to catch up here anymore. baby does crazy nights now.
after colin's mom advice i switched baby to 4hr easy routine (more or less) and for as MOMENT it was better. then it got horribly bad, and now he wakes up even every 15 minutes. btw, he's 7,5 mo's old

at sopme point i decided that  taking it easy would be the best, it worked- meaning i just duid whatever he wanted to make him fall asleep. so i fe him whenecver..now i pay for this as there is NOTHING to calm him down except a drink or breastfeeding.
i'm really tired. unfortunately i'm rather alone with dealing with baby, so i am going mad sometimes, it's so frustrating.

his schedule

between 6-8 he wakes up (ha, that's the only thing that improved. for now.)
9- fruits
11-bf
3 pm- bf
between 4-5 lunch, meat, vegetables
around 6:30 cereal, bath, bf and
around 7 bed.

and then after 20 minutes he wakes up, and then before midnight two more times, and then even more times...so
today i couldnt bear this patting thing anyomre, left jhim alone...he fell asleep. i guess i was lucky.

this post is brought to you by the letter f as in frustration, so if it's incoherent, forgive me. if you have anything to say please do, i will appreciate it very much. also, what about just letting baby to cry out? obviously it is something i frown upon, but maybe some babies need that, huh? possible?

Offline andrea21

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
Re: 7mos old-even more trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 21:04:13 pm »
Hi!!!

Hope you are hanging in there,I no what you mean about going mad some days.i have no help either and some days you want to scream.My DS is cutting his top2teeth,and is very cranky with it.

At 4 months I changed my Ds onto a bottle and went on the 4hr easy.Before that we had no routine and I mean nothing!!One of the first thing I did was get a waking time at the same time every morning,which is horrible some dayswhen you want a sleep in and they are sleeping in,but it goes good for him the whole day.

This is his routine now.He is 7.5months old.

7am awake and 180ml of formula
8am cereal with 60ml formula and some water too
9.30-10.30/11am sleep

12noon 180ml formula
1pm lunch/fruit
1.30-3pm sleep

4pm 180ml formula
6pm tea veggie etc.
7-7.30pm 210ml and to bed here..

My Ds has slept Thur the whole night from 6weeks old and i use to cluster feed at the start which was what made him sleep the whole night.I did it when I turned him to the bottle and stopped it about 6weeks ago and he slept the wholenight Thur then too.I think his body clock new when he was sleeping Thur too.I have found by this routine he goes really good and his body clock no's when it is time for sleeps too.If we are out he goes of to sleep on time pretty much all the time.

Can I ask how come you give cereal at night time?
I was told too do that too but on a post i had dome alot of mum's said it can be heavy for there stomach so maybe that could be a reason for the wakings at night.I am no expert but it is an idea.

Do you feed him when wakes up in the morning?
Maybe you could bring lunch earlier.maybe he is having too much food in the afternoon and it is sitting in his stomach which might cause the night wakings?
I am no expert,but this might help you.
Hope this is some help,if you want to ask anything else just ask,our little one's are the same age and i have had two very different children at the same age.So just ask if you want to no something.

Good luck hope i goes well.

Andrea

Offline neon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:29:23 am »
arr it's horrible, he woke up every hour this night. it's weeks since that is going on so my headache is enormous. i switched the lunch time so yesterday he ate at 1pm.

also read here that ceareal isn't really helping sleep, it's just...i don't know. somehow in my contry people give babies cereal at night. my dr told me so and i just went, ah ok. i'll think about that...tho i think that the problem is somewhere else.

i watched him sleep and awake last night and it seems so random. i managed to pat him back to sleep twice with nort much effort (he awoke shortly after anyway). i think it's just a habit he has.

i'm giving him only tea at night now, so the daily eating will not be influenced. but i'm kinda hopeless.

now you made me think about how some months ago i started giving him formula at night, it was brilliant, he slept so good! it got messed up at some point tho. now i feel very unwell about breastfeeding, that whole night thing sends me in bad places.

anyway, i just got up and started whining, not good, not good. thank you andrea, a lot!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 07:49:06 am »
I noticed there was no mention of day naps. - Normally waking after 20mins means a baby that is overtired at bed time.

At 7mo, I'd be making sure that you were trying to put him down for a nap after an awake time of about 2.5 hours, but given he wakes so often, maybe that should be about 2 hours when you start to do a calm activity.
A fairly standard routine for a 6mo would be
wake 7am, bf followed by cereal with fruit (about 1/2 hour later)
9.30am - Nap  for 1.5 hours
11am bf followed by solids
1.30pm nap 1.5 hours
3pm milk feed
4.30pm 30-45min catnap (some babies will skip this by 7mo)
5.30/6pm solids
bath
7pm Bed
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:03 am »
I was told the same thing about cereal for tea too and I did a post on here and alot of mumīs said not too so I thought ok I wont.I found it weired too about cereal for tea, but I prefer to go by people advice from countries similar to mine than the country I am in.Don't get me wrong the way  they do stuff here in Spain is ok,but they do everything different.For example the kids don't go to bed until 10pm at night and they give babies there cereal in there milk not like a food.

I was going the same with feeding too,I wasn't enjoying it and the best thing I did for my DS was put him onto formula and it has worked out really good for us.He has a routine every day and when I was feeding him he had nothing at all.

Maybe you could try start again to a degree,so his body noīs when his feed and sleep time is.When I changed him over I looked at everybody's routines in Bottle feeding at start then went into looking at solids when he started them.Worked out what times were no good for me with feeding,I have a DD who is 4 and goes to school,then I worked around it.Worked out when he can have bottles then worked out his sleeping,he didn't sleep much during the day but slept all night.Then once he was going good with that I added the food and worked around it.
Hope this is making some sense, ino how you are feeling with my DD I did nothing like I do with my DS as I had no idea either,little things like adding chicken to veggies.Which would explain why she is a bad eater now.

If you need an help,just yell out will try to help you out anyway I can,not sure if I can be much help,willing to try and help you...

Hang in there...

Andrea...

Offline neon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:21:36 am »
hmm, thank you... this routine you posted is slightly different that what we have. he has two naps, one before the noon, second around 4pm. both are more or less and hour long..tho lately due to big walks he sleeps more in the afternoon, but never after 5 pm. i'll think about it, but somehow it seems to me that he's well rested during the day.

andrea, in my country they serve ceral with milk as a drink as well. i find it silly so i never did that, food in  a bottle?
as for switching to formula- i went trough three months of ripped nipples and so many tears and pain i won't give up just yet. too much effort put into this. but the main factor is that he is enjoying breastfeeding so much, i constantly find myself thinking: ok. maybe three months more. or five. or six.

thank you for the hel offer, i certainly will turn to you when my mind is  bit ested and i can think properly.

jesus, i'm so confused. on top of it the nice going-to-bed routine we had worked on is GONe becaus eof recent vacation. we're back to hours of screaming.

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:57:02 pm »
Just something I thought of.If my DS sleeps past 3-3.30pm I canīt get him to sleep at 7pm which I really like him to go down at.

As long as he is happy with feeding and so are you that is the main thing...

PM me if you want any help,will try and help as much as I can...

Andrea....