Author Topic: pulling up to standing  (Read 1765 times)

Offline mkoontz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:30:28 am »
Help help help, I'm turning to you guys cause you helped so much before.

My DD is 7 months old and on a 4 hr schedule and baby whisperer has done so much to help.  She's great now, sleeping longer and napping well

BUT

She's just learned to pull herself up to standing - good for her  :)- bad for sleep  :'(

I've just spent about 1 1/2 hrs trying to put her down - I leave her until she's standing and gently put her back on her back, but it doesn't help.  This has been going on for about 3 days now - every sleep - nap times too.

She does seem to do to sleep if I keep holding her, but I don't want to get into that habit - she needs to go to sleep by herself right?  Or does it not matter during this scary transition time.

I'm completely lost and feeling really frustrated about it all - any help would  be great.

Megan

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: pulling up to standing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:51:42 am »
Hi there..

I have just gone through something quite similar with my DS.. but it was when he learned to sit up and pull up onto his knees not stand.

Here is a post where I was telling someone else about it...

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67405.0

When it comes to standing you need to teach your LO to get back down again buy showing her how to slide her hands down the bars of the cot again.. or work their hands down the bars to help them get back to sitting and then lying. Once she can do this you could then try handling it how I did with William.. it truly did work and we have no problems with him going to bed and sleeping at the moment. I know that when he can stand I will be doing just the same!

Helen xxx

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:53:44 am »
Hi, I sympathise!  Our DD discovered she could pull herself up to stand at about 1 year old.  We were away on holidays and it was hell!  The primary issue was that she could not work out how to lie back down again.  We went through it for less than a week.  We eventually just lay beside her port-a-cot to help her go back to sleep.  When we came home she was fine, she got over the excitement of her new discovery of standing in her cot and just lay down to sleep on her own and without us being there every step of the way.

Good luck!
char
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 11:52:21 am »
When my ds's went through it I spent every spare moment I could helping them learn to sit down again, so that at nap/bed time, I could just help them go to sleep & then once they learnt the skill of getting up & down, I slowly removed my assistance from their sleep. in my mind it was better to get them to sleep before they were overtired, than to be too worried about them getting used to me being involved... but that is me.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 19:31:11 pm »
OK, I think I'll work on the getting back down stuff.  She can easily when she's holding onto me (she just falls - I guess she trusts that I'll catch her) so we'll go from there.

And to be honest I'm getting to the point where anything that will help her sleep would be good - I'd even feed her to sleep, but she doesn't sleep that way.

We'll get there, I have to keep remembering that this too is just a phase

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 21:52:31 pm »
I'm still going insane over here - :'( she's at it every time I try to put her down, so 3 times a day it takes about 45 mins to 1 1/2 hrs to put her down and now the afternoon nap is only lasting 30 mins.

It really doesn't seem to be getting better, am I doing something wrong - I can't leave her and walk out cause she can't get back down to sitting (though I've tried to teach her)  I know she'll get that bit, but I'm worried she sleeping will stay like this.

Megan

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 09:37:01 am »
We got very frustrated before she worked out how to sit back down and when she actually wanted to.  For days it was a game.  Just stick in there. 

Does she get upset that she can't lie back down? Or is she standing up happy and proud of herself?  Can you walk out, say 'nighty-night' then come back in a couple of minutes? 

char
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:39:33 am by mum101 »

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 14:47:55 pm »
I dont' know, she's just crying constantly.  I think she want to stand for a bit, but then doesn't and she's soo tired, doesn't want to lay down either.

Offline Wiki

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 18:54:31 pm »
Does she sleep in a sleeping bag at all, or just sheets/blankets? Maybe a sleeping bag would help unless she would get frustrated that she couldn't get up. My LO learnt to pull to knees this week so I'm waiting for this, his sleeping bag doesn't stop him getting his legs caught in his cot bars!

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 20:48:13 pm »
Actually it's so hot here, she just sleeps in a body suit.  No need for any blankets.  But I am wondering what I'm going to do when we do need them - she's such a wriggler she goes from one end of the crib to the other.
 :o

Offline mum101

• Char
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 01:42:36 am »
Your DD will work it out soon.  She'll just have to get over the excitement of her new skill and learn another one!  Just clear your schedule for a week! 
Our DD took about a week. 

Someone I know with a bubba the same age held her child down until she slept, so she couldn't get up.  But I don't think that's necessary (especially with her little one being quite a placid easy-going baby).  But I think the mum was so focussed/obsessed? on her sleeping and didn't like it not being as easy. 

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 03:30:00 am »
Thanks guys,  It just seems strange that it's getting worse not better, it's a week tomorrow.

She'll go to sleep better now, but her naps are only about 30 mins (20 this afternoon) - I do sush/pat for the next hour and a bit and I think that is what is driving me up the wall.  But I think it'll pay in the long run.

Thanks again for your support.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 21:53:10 pm »
Guess what William learned to do this week... and guess who has been awake for an hour at a time in the middle of the night pracising his new skill... hmmm

I feel your pain!!!

Its just a phase.. it'll pass.. honest it will xxx

Helen xx

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 22:45:10 pm »
Just to let you know... I think it took about 2 weeks with both my boys before they got the skill, but I know with Liam it was mixed with teething, illness & also lots of change... Aiden I can't remember, but I do remember spending lots of time patting him off to sleep  when he was overtired.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mkoontz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 22:18:03 pm »
Thanks for all your support guys, I think it's finally over now (fingers crossed).  It seemed to  be getting worse and worse then one day she decided that it wasnt' fun anymore and she stopped.
Oh but what I tough week and a bit it was.  She can even sit back down now, but that didnt' seem to be the deciding factor - she just seemed to get bored with standing up.

So for all those going through it - hang in there.

Megan

Oh yeah, and I also started walking out of the room when she was playing around, but happy - she'd cry almost immediately, and I'd go straight back in and lay her down, but I'd leave her until she cried.