Author Topic: refusing the bottle  (Read 1208 times)

Offline chamorromomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Kai Mateo 11/23/2005
refusing the bottle
« on: July 30, 2006, 03:52:30 am »
ok..what's wrong with my lil' man? He refuses to take his bottle within the last 2 weeks. I can give it to him in a small shot glass (perfect size for those small hands) and then he'll take it, but only up to 5-6 oz only. I haven't changed the formula at all, he has wet diapers and is acting fine except when we're doing the eating thing. I think he might be getting his top 2 teeth (gums swollen and all)--is this normal for teething or is my child just being a booger with his momma?? Ideas??

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: refusing the bottle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 04:13:54 am »
How old is your DS and how often is he feeding and how much is he taking at each feed?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 06:04:54 am »
From your previous post, I can see you LO is 8months. Sounds like it could be teething or at this age it could mean a drop in a bottle. However we really need you to let us know how often and how much he gets fed.

Also is it an particular bottle???

If your LO is teething the sucking action on the teeth causes their little mouths a lot of pain, you can also try rubbing tethgn gel on the gums prior to the feed.
Lauren x

Offline chamorromomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Kai Mateo 11/23/2005
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 15:20:04 pm »
He's just over 8 months old. Avent is what we've been using for the entire 8 months. Enfamil gentlease and A.R mixed together (x 4-5 months now because of urpage issues) and I tried putting more gentlease in vs A.R. I've tried ice cold, cold, lukewarm, warm for the bottle. I've tried waiting after his solids, before his solids, during his solids. In the last 2 1/2 weeks, this whole thing has been going on. Yesterday the total amount of formula I got down him was a grand total of 10 oz for the entire day. However, he ate his solids with vigor and had wet diapers. He'll suck on the bottle and then stop. I've tried the oralgel before the bottle and that just ticks him off even more and then he's too wound up to take the bottle. Like I said before, I've tried the sippy cup, regular cup, small shot glass--everything. He won't take the formula in his cereal--tried that and he just had the look asking me what in the heck was I doing to him. He'll take a little bit of water in a sippy and that's it. I'm getting to the point where I'm about to call the pediatrician and make sure he doesn't have reflux. He probably had it while he was around 3-5 months and then we switched him to mixing in a little thicker formula to the gentlease. And Gramma has tried everything also. This is a woman who's raised 3 kiddos and she's at the end of her ideas.