Author Topic: At the end of my rope...  (Read 779 times)

Offline Anniemoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:01:44 am »
All right, i think i have answered everything in detail. I hope people can help me. I feel like I'm losing it a bit. I have suprised people with my apparently 'natural' mothering skills till now (I guess people usually think I'm a bit tough), but I am losing patience with my dear little one with all the carrying on at nap time and in the night with her wakings.

I have tried to think it through and I wonder about hunger - given that she isn't good at concentrating on feeding in the day (despite going into a quiet place etc...) or whether the paci removal has had anything to do with it, and of course i am constantly feeling for more teeth as she chomps on everything and has been doing that for weeks.

I have really been consistent with p/u p/d which I started a month ago - I don't know why it is still taking so long. 20 minutes ok - but often an hour to sleep. Despairing as I can't keep it up all night and don't want control crying, but I'm exhausted and feeling so frustrated and grumpy towards her. very unhappy with this obviously...anyway, here it is.

Thanks for any help, Bonnie

How old is your child? 7 months
What’s his/her daily routine?
feed 5am
wake 7-730
activity
feed 9am
bed 930/ sleep anytime from 940 - 1030
wakes between 1020 - 1100 (is sometimes stringing 2 sleeps together, wake-to-sleep not working)
feed  -solids (steamed mushed vegies or fruit. refused as a rule)
activity
feed 1pm
sleep  1-130pm-ish for 40 minutes
activity
catnap sometimes anywhere between 430 and 5 for 30 minutes
solids (rice cereal and fruit) just starting to eat this
bath
feed
sleep 630 - 7pm
dreamfeed 10pm

night waking starts at 1.30ish, carries on and off until 5am feed. Sometimes up and chatting in her cot for hours, othertimes unsettled and a lot of p/u put down required. she then sleeps 40 minute cycles requiring p/u p/d to go to sleep each waking

What’s nap routine? 2p/day + catnap in sling in early evening when necessary

How long are naps? usually 40 minutes

What's bedtime routine? Time? bath then stories, down at 630 - 7pm

Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfeed

How much? or how long? 4 hourly. Daytime is difficult - a lot of distractions and I often feel that she's not gwtting the feed she should, but then, she is 10kg at 7 months, so she's not straving. her dream feed and 5 am feed are her best. 5-10minutes each side
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
both

How many wakes per night? each night a bit different, but starts at 130am, see above

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? usually grumpy and requiring quick resettling which she cannot do without p/u p/d, sometimes alert and quietly chatting in the dark, looking at her nightlight and playing with her lovie

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? sometimes it is escalating up to big cry but not full on. I wouldn't call it mantra though

What have you tried to settle?? p/u p/d

What do you do for A time and how long is it? morning walk dog with dad. after first sleep we go out to see friends or to do grocery shopping etc..., sometines playgroup. usually sleeps second sleep at home, but occasionally in sling on the go. afternoon dog walk, play at home outside or in the playpen while mum cooks dinner etc... pretty lowkey generally

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
all this strated at 41/2 months. before then she had slept through from 6 weeks and at 12 weeks slept from 8pm til 8am. she got her first teeth at 5 months, mothing more since. she is a huge baby - off the charts etc, apparently a family trait on my partners side, (mostly healthy weight adults) but I have been amazed at her growth - she's just huge

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
rice cereal with breastmilk at 5-530pm. 2 teaspoons dried cerwal with about 20ml breast milk

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? had a paci til 51/2 months, thought it was causing night problems and took it away cold turkey. that was awful, no 3 day adjustment there

Do they have a lovie? yes, 2