Author Topic: Shops - breastfeeding facilities  (Read 3231 times)

Offline rach

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 322
Shops - breastfeeding facilities
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:42:01 am »
OK, so i'm not sure if there is already a thread which covers this, feel free to move this post if so but I thought it would be helpful if we could name some of the shops/stores that provide breastfeeding facilities.

I went to Stockport the other day and made use of the facilities in Boots.  They were comfortable, providing a chair for feeding on (with curtain that you could draw around yourself), baby change facilities and a potty for toddlers and sink for washing up afterwards.  The only problem was it wasn't that clean in there.  The chair was pretty mucky (obviously well used).

There are also facilities at our local M&S/Tesco stores and facilities at the Trafford Centre next to where the toilets are situated, and at John Lewis, although I am yet to try out these facilities.

Does anyone else know of other stores that have a room for breastfeeding privately in, as so many people appear to take offence at people breastfeeding in public, lets see which companies are prepared to do something to allow us to have some quiet time without the stares to feed our little ones.
Rach xx

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Shops - breastfeeding facilities
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:06 am »
Rach - the John Lewis in Cheadle has a feeding room, it was OK, but could have been better. One side of the room was changing facilities, then round a corner was the bf area - basically a row of 3 office chairs :P. Not the most comfortable chair I ever bf on, and it wasn't the biggest room in the world, but it was at least clean. No curtain to pull around yourself though.

On the upside - it's next to the restaurant, and they let my Mum bring me in a cup of coffee and a (huge) piece of chocolate cake :D
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline rach

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:06:13 am »
Thanks Caroline.  Well maybe next time i'm there i'll be visiting the facilities  ;)

John Lewis, Cheadle is about 5/10 mins from our house! 
Rach xx

Offline Johanne

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:16:07 am »
My Health Visitor gavce me a booklet of places that are supportive of breastfeeding in Macclesfield, Knutsford and Wilmslow. It was produced in conjunction with the NCT. I don't know whether other areas have the same thing. It included the Coffee Traders cafe on Chestergate in Macclesfield and I took both kids there the other day and I BF'd although it was in public because the booklet had said I could :) We had a lovely meal! A closed off room doesn't really help me if I am in town with DS1 because he will want something to do for the 40 mins it takes me to feed, so a cafe that is supportive of BFing is much more helpful. I am a bit bolshie and will feed in public because my baby is entitled to eat too! 

Offline rach

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 12:08:57 pm »
Hey Jo - whereabouts do you live?  You must be really close.  My mum lives in Macc and i'm in Stockport!
Rach xx

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 12:15:42 pm »
All mothercare shops have a room, even if you can't see one then just ask. WHy not pop into a changing room and see if they have a seat in them if you get desperate.

Ikea has a lovely cornered off section in the cafe area with a very comfy chair and other little things for any toddlers you may have with you.

Some service stations have them and the are pretty clean and checked regular. Not all have them though, but most "MOTO" ones do.
Rhian

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:46:22 pm »
BLUEWATER - KENT

JOHN LEWIS - Very large room which is dvided into bottle feeding (several office type chairs, bottle warmers), a large changing area around the perimeter and a breast feeding area that has 2 very squishy, comfy leather couches.

MOTHERCARE - Has a room with a comfy chair.

BOOTS - Poky little room, hardly big enough to swing a cat in.

Several 'family' rooms dotted around the place with a rocking chair, changing area and toilet, and one large room in the food court which has comfy seats for bottle and breast feeding, bottle warmers, microwaves, screened off breast feeding area and tables with toys for older children.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline mcruari

• Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 13:16:44 pm »
Oh if you come to Italy you can bf anywhere and people will come and 'Awww' and 'how cute' and all that in your face. Nice but can be frustrating if your a private(ish) sort of person :-\
But yay to people who breastfeed in public (discreetly, of course) - it is only natural after all :-*

BTW, Mothercare in Notts has a good family room.
Sinéad