Author Topic: Coming out of the 3 month growth spurt  (Read 767 times)

Offline ami_lynn

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 31, 2006, 14:27:32 pm »
My LO used to sleep for 1-1/2 hours at naptime making for a 2.5-3 hour feeding schedule (exclusively bf).  Well, we hit the 3 month growth spurt about a week ago and WHAM!  Eating every 1-1/2-2 hours throughout the day totally messing up nap times and making for a very fussy baby.

We don't really have a schedule (I drove myself nutty with a "schedule" w/ my first born even though I was whispering, but our routine looks something like this

E (20 min)
A (40 min) then starts fussing-- takes about 20 min. to get him sleepy enough to lay down
S (30-45 min)

over and over again all day because his naps have gotten so short

I've tried
E (20 min)
A (40 min)
S (30-45 min)
A (30 min)
E (20 min)
A but he is SO overtired at this point that he is past the point of no return, but he won't E to S, so it's CRAZY all around (not that I want him to E to S, but you start to get desperate).

I feel bad b/c I think he is a textbook baby, and I feel that I've done something wrong.  He's really easy to handle compared to #1 (touchy through and through), but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any advice on how to extend S?  (we don't use any props btw) Oh, and he does SLEEP at night-- maybe I let him sleep too long at night?  (usually goes down at 9 pm and wakes between 4-7 am for a feed)
Elijah David 10/03/01 
Simon Daniel 4/28/06

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: Coming out of the 3 month growth spurt
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 14:46:51 pm »
hi

my dd is only two days older than your LO and we're also having some problems with naps now. plus she's teething... :(

I can't really offer you any help or advice, as we're having some tough moments now too. but i must tell you that it has all began for us with the growth spurt as well. she was eating all the time [BF with one FF a day, in the evening], napping more often than before, waking up more at night. now, she's eating every 3,5~4 hrs but sometimes naps twice in the middle, lol! I've read many posts about those short naps and I guess it's more or less a developmental issue.
have you tried pat/shush, are you swaddling? we're not swaddling anymore, but dd sleeps/naps in a grobag so it feels a bit like a swaddle to her I guess. pat/shush has never really worked for us but it has for so many Moms/LOs that maybe you could try. maybe you could aslo try extending his A time real slow, 10 to 15 minutes a "cycle" [but only one "cycle" a time, check out this post https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0, it's about transitioning from 3 to 4 hrs EASY]

like I've said, can't really help, but big hugs to you :) gotta go, dd's crying  ::)

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)