Author Topic: What do you actually DO in the day?  (Read 8018 times)

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: What do you actually DO in the day?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 16:59:39 pm »
Hi Caroline! 

I can TOTALLY relate to your post!!!!  I feel this way almost every day, sadly!  ::)  We go to the library about once a week.  They have story time 4X a week but we don't go a lot due to still transitioning to 1 nap a day.  We have gone once and it was so neat.  They sang songs, did fingerplays and read a story.  They even have free story times at a lot of the bookstores here in the US.  Don't know about the UK but that might be something to check out.  We also have a little baby pool that I fill up (the thing DS likes most is putting his hand in the water coming out of the hose!) and we play in there for as long as he wants.  He likes to dig in dirt like PP have said.  I also collected some shells from our beach trip and he likes looking at those and taking them out/putting them in a bucket.

Yesterday we went to a play area that was really amazing!  It cost $10 for both of us but was worth it.  They had a kitchen area, grocery area, castle, boat, firetruck, "movement" area, play hospital area, art area, water play area and it was so cool!  It costs $95 a year to join and you can go as often as you like which I may consider because right now, in the US, it's horribly hot and too hot to even play outside.  And it would be good for wintertime, too.  Since it's been so hot here, that's made things worse as far as finding things to do!  We also have gone to the local pool and that was fun.  They have a baby pool area and it's not expensive at all.

Will definitely be looking for more ideas as I am desperate, too!

Suzanne

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 18:34:39 pm »
Holly loves painting the fence with water at the moment, she's got a tub of water by the fence and a paintbruch (use a child's one or a decorating one) and she stay there for ages, let it dry then start again!!!

She's really into role play so we do a lot of that, she's got that from watching the tv - she pretends to be sportacus! )I'm Robbie and Daddy is Ziggy) or she pretends to be Dora. She's just got a dolls house and loves playing with that.

She loves books and playing on the computer too.

Kimberley

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 19:17:36 pm »
Holly loves painting the fence with water at the moment, she's got a tub of water by the fence and a paintbruch (use a child's one or a decorating one) and she stay there for ages, let it dry then start again!!!

I LOVE that idea!!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 19:25:52 pm »
Hide and Seek.  You might have to adapt it depending on age. 

DS loves to chase me around the house, I will hide behind a corner or closet and jump out at him.  He goes into hysterics. 

Gets him nice and tired too!!!   :) :) :)
Judy

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 19:30:36 pm »
Suzanne, what play area do you go to?  I'd like to find one in my area, but I don't know what to search for.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 19:44:34 pm »
Hello Caroline - great idea for a thread.

I am also at a loss as what to do and I feel it is a fine line between letting Mia chill out and letting her get bored or giving lots to do and then overstimulating her.  I don;t want her to be the type of child who is only happy when she is doing a structured activity.  I love it when I see her flicking through her books, then giving her teddies a cuddle, then having a crawl round - just amusing herself.

She goes to nursery one full day and two half days a week and on top of that we go swimming once or twice a week and I always try and get her out in her buggy for some fresh air.

Quote (selected)
My main problem is with toys.......I find they are very expensive and she's bored with them as soon as she's mastered them.  Does anyone have any good ideas for cheap - or even no cost - toys?  I've done the fill an old handbag up with child safe tat but would love to hear some more moms ideas.
Quote (selected)

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 19:46:01 pm »
Hello Caroline - great idea for a thread.

I am also at a loss as what to do and I feel it is a fine line between letting Mia chill out and letting her get bored or giving lots to do and then overstimulating her.  I don;t want her to be the type of child who is only happy when she is doing a structured activity.  I love it when I see her flicking through her books, then giving her teddies a cuddle, then having a crawl round - just amusing herself.

She goes to nursery one full day and two half days a week and on top of that we go swimming once or twice a week and I always try and get her out in her buggy for some fresh air.

Quote (selected)
My main problem is with toys.......I find they are very expensive and she's bored with them as soon as she's mastered them.  Does anyone have any good ideas for cheap - or even no cost - toys?  I've done the fill an old handbag up with child safe tat but would love to hear some more moms ideas.
Quote (selected)
Do you have a toy library in your area.  We childminders use them quite a lot.  Where are you and I will ask my local toy library if you have one too.  (sorry, forgot to check to see if you were UK)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 20:08:42 pm »
There are some great ideas here, thanks guys, keep up coming :)

We went to a garden centre yesterday, and ds loved it - saw some fish, some rabbits, birds, 'ucks' (ducks ;)), and had a ball dancing in the shop to some 60s music with the assistant :D. Thanks for the tip.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 20:52:51 pm »
I remembered after reading through this thread  :-\, that i've got a book about activities to do with children up to the age of 3!!!

I'm looking through it at the moment and will post some ideas for activities soon.  They give variations depending on the age of your child.
Rach xx

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 20:58:18 pm »
Ryan loves painting the fence too ! Also loves being Sportacus just watching him trying to do press ups is entertaining
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 21:02:17 pm »
DD is older but here are the things we do while housebound due to heat at the moment,
Morning, while I cook lunch and prepare for the day dd goes to her cupboard and pulls out all the tupperware, wooden spoons and dry pasta and cooks, now we have included the "girls" in this game 5 of her dollies, we get up to an hour out of this.
Reading, have all her books in a box and she opens the box and goes through them all.
Colouring-doesnt last longer than 10 mins so might have to try something more adventurous soon.
Tea parties- she makes me cups of tea with lots of adding of sugar and stirring while I check on here.
Dancing- she particularly likes Kylie and Max Pezzali.
Small toy car which if you pull back goes by itself and beach ball, another good time killer:-)
Box of blocks, she has just gotten into doing this by herself.
"Here she comes" I lie on her soft toy cat which is seat shaped and she walks around me and then jumps on me, could get hours out of that! Also when I am making the bed she gets under the sheet and can spend half an hour fixing it over me and herself tucking us in.
Pillows on the floor, she thinks she is climbing  :P
Bringing her dolls for a walk in their buggy around the house, got lots of time out of this one too.
Housework, she is great for laundry, likes to load the basket, then the washing machine, empty the machine and push the basket to the dryer to hang it up.
and if all else fails which it does frequently and she asks me for tv ( she watches 2   week after she got addicted in less than a week) I give her a bath in the morning and let her stay for ages.
We have now started to do a bit of baking the odd time in the afternoon, she helps by counting how much flour how many eggs I need etc
Reading back it seems like we have loads to do  but we still go through the what am I going to do today phase and from 10.30 to 11.30 seems to be the longest hour before lunch. We also go out in the afternoon, late around 5pm despite the heat.
Fiona

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 01:50:59 am »
Hi Kim,

The play area we went to is a nonprofit organization and it is called Playspace Museum.  The web address is http://www.playspacemuseum.com just to give you an idea of what it is like. 

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08

Offline evanskimberley

• Kent, GB
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 07:22:56 am »
Another variation on hide and seek is hiding their toys. DH keeps holly amused for over an hour by hiding her bath ducks in funny places in a room! She finds it hilarious. You can do it whilst doing otherthings too cos it takes them ages to find! She goes in a nother room whilst we hide them and says "no peeking" then we say "ready, come an find them".
Such a giggle!
Kimberley

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 15:54:46 pm »
She loves books and playing on the computer too.

Do you have a separate computer for her or do you let her use yours?  What does she do on it?  What software does she use?

DD (16 mos) loves to reach for my mouse (it glows blue on the bottom), and she likes to bang on the laptop keyboard (which concerns me because she's really banging over the hard drive area  :-\ ).  I was thinking of setting up a separate older laptop that is laying around, just for her to play with. Of course, she'll need supervision while using it because I'm afraid the keys can pop off and although she probably won't put it in her mouth, it is still a choking hazard.

What I'm wondering is ... what kind of games do they have for very young toddlers? When I look at kid software at the store, they seem to be for the older preschooler and up.

Anyways, I'm not sure my LO is ready to actually "do" something on the computer, she's only just starting to grasp simple cause & effect ... like pressing buttons on the tv remote makes something happen on the tv.

Marie

Offline evanskimberley

• Kent, GB
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 18:46:10 pm »
We play on our main computer, I go on cbeebies mostly, Nick Jnr and Disney. Cbeebies is the only one to have any relevant games.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/
http://nickjr.co.uk/shows/dora/index.aspx
http://www.disney.co.uk/DisneyChannel/playhouse/

Holly loves this game, you just have to hit the space bar to get something to happen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/teletubbies/funandgames/sucky_slurpy/index.shtml

How about just getting her a separate keyboard so she can bang away but not costing too much money?

We also have a little touch leappad - the baby version, she does it with me and is great for cause and effect and learning about computers.
Kimberley