Author Topic: Potty as sleep delaying tactic  (Read 1296 times)

Offline ormsey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 01, 2006, 13:47:17 pm »
We've recently potty trained our 25 month year old son. All was going well until he realised he could use the potty at night as an excuse to drag out bedtime or demand night time attention. Instead of going to sleep claims he wants to do a wee wee but then there is no potty action! What should I do? It's driving me mad. I'm scared to ignore his requests incase he really does need to wee but then again ninety nine percent of the time he's just after attention. Any ideas?

Sarah

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Re: Potty as sleep delaying tactic
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 13:52:33 pm »
Sarah,  I've just posted exactly the same problem on the couch as I didn't know which forum to post in.

i'm watching this with avid interest, since Matthew is now doing this before bed - at least 3 times before he finally settles and last night !!!Well I hope you don't get the same as I did last night.

Here's hoping that this phase doesn't last long for either of us!!

Take care
Alex

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 14:53:59 pm »
We had the same problem, but this seems to have passed now and it didn't last too long.  It drove me potty ( ;) all the same though!  (Sorry!)

I made a point of making sure that Charlotte sat on the toilet or potty just before going to bed and I tried to encourage her to do both a wee and a poop.  Then i'd say to her, look now we've been to the toilet and done our wee-wees and poops, we don't need to get up again do we?  This would sometimes work, sometimes not, but like I say it didn't last too long.

I know what you mean about ignoring their requests and then finding that they actually did need to go, I used to worry about that too, but they are all delaying tactics.  If you know that they've been to the toilet shortly before going to bed (or just before) then they should be fine.

Good luck!  Hope that it doesn't last too long.
Rach xx

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:52:19 am »
Just wanted to say you're not alone. We just potty trained our DD who is also 25 months. I am soooooooooooooooooo fed up with the game playing. We had a lovely six weeks where she was a joy to be around. Now she's a little hitler. I just hope we get through it soon. It's so hard to keep the boundaries. DD keeps taking off her nappy at bed time (not ready for underwear just yet). Last night I put on the nappy back to front as this stops her taking it off sometimes. Any way at midnight she cried out. The nappy had leaked and wet her bed and she was upset. We changed the bed clothes and it took 2 hours to get her back down. The screaming woke up DS as it frightened him.

I have a feeling the night wakings are to do with the potty but who knows it could be she needs less sleep. Still I hope the games stop soon.

Will keep an eye open for ideas but I have a feeling it is one of those things to get through just like moving them into a bed etc.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline ormsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 20:29:23 pm »
Thanks for the responses. Last two days have been better - I've just tried to be firmer and say 'the potty has gone to bed' and not get it out again during bedtime. Of course tonight just after bedtime we had the 'I need a wee wee' chant again and my partner gave in (much to my annoyance) and got the potty and William produced a big wee and then went straight to sleep. Can't seem to win.

Potty training definitely seems to have disturbed W's sleep patterns though - more night waking (often to do a wee and then go back to sleep) and more crochety in the mornings - only mummy will do now whereas before he use to happily let my partner get him up and take him downstairs - I wonder whether this is due to anxiety about a full bladder. Hope it all settles down soon as number two is due in six weeks. Foolishly I thought potty training would make life easier when number two arrived.

Sarah

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 21:01:55 pm »
Glad things are getting a bit better. I know people say that you shouldn't make too many changes around the babies arrival but I also think delaying things when your child shows signs of being ready can also cause problems so I wouldn't stress too much about it now your up and running.

Thanks for your post. I have been having a few problems with night wakings just light you and what you explained about the anxienty seems to ring true with us. It makes me realise I have to listen to the emotional struggles of my DD at the same time as being consistant and boundaried.

I promised myself tonight I would also be firm especially as DH and I were going out to eat for the first time in ages (actually since DS was born - we've only managed a quick drink before now). My MIL took DD out this morning for a massive play in the park, I woke her from her nap to ensure she didn't sleep too long, had some mummy and DD time at the swimming pool alone before tea and then headed home. At bedtime I was trying to be firm. After 10 mins though I thought I had better check her as she was asking for a wee. I went in, she had taken all her clothes off, nappy and growbag as well, just standing there naked! She produced a big poo and has been asleep ever since. This is the first time she has asked for the potty and poo'd before now she has communicated by crying for poo's. I am so chuffed. I guess we will get the game wrong sometimes and other days get it right. Just part of growing up I guess.

Thanks again for posting it has really helpe me at this time.

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline ormsey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 19:18:47 pm »
Things still improving here. Just guess that he's getting used to the potty. Some nights he wakes up and demands the potty but typically wees and goes back to sleep (alas though not me - still hunting for that heavily pregnant comfortable sleeping position). Definitely less messing around and more sleeping. Mornings seem to be settling as well - we just now ignore his cries for me and he gets his dad despite tears - the tears are reducing each morning - hopefully they will be totally gone in the next few days. What a palaver!

Thanks everyone for the tips and support.

Sarah