Author Topic: Bedtime is becoming a nightmare  (Read 6624 times)

Offline rach

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 322
Bedtime is becoming a nightmare
« on: August 01, 2006, 14:48:18 pm »
Charlotte has always had a good bedtime routine which consisted of a bath, cup of milk and story, then onto the potty/toilet, clean her teeth and then into bed.  I've been able to leave the room with her wide awake for as long as I can remember.  She's always settled herself down, sometimes chatting to herself or her toys before drifting off.

Now that Cameron has arrived it is somewhat different, but I'm really struggling to get her back on track and I could do with some help.

We still start our bedtime routine off with a bath, I now bath Cameron at the same time as Charlotte, him in the baby bath, Charlotte in the big bath where she can watch what is going on and be involved.  We have a sing-song, chat about the day etc.  While I'm bathing Cameron and getting him into his jammies Charlotte can play in the bath, then when I've finished sorting Cameron, I pop him into the crib where I know he's safe and then I wash Charlotte's hair. 

After their baths, we all go downstairs and while I feed Cameron, Charlotte has her cup of milk and we all read a story together.  Afterwards Cameron is put into the travel cot, (which is set up as a crib downstairs), where he settles down to sleep.  Charlotte and I go upstairs to the bathroom, where she sits on the toilet to do her business and then she washes her hands and then cleans her teeth.

This is when the problems start.  We get, 'I want a drink of water', so when I say that I'll go and get her a drink and bring it up while she gets into bed, we have a huge tantrum - 'I want to go downstairs'.  If I put her into her bed she gets up and gets really angry, crying and shouting, stamping her feet etc.  If I sit quietly with her, she'll eventually quieten down but as soon as I move, we're back to square 1.  I've tried saying that I need to go and sort some washing out, but as soon as I'm done I'll come back and check on her, but that doesn't work.  We have another meltdown and she screams that she wants mummy.  If DH goes near her then he gets the same, that she wants me, although if he sticks with her he does seem to have more success than me because she calms down and accepts that its bedtime quicker with him than me - or that could be that she's so exhausted.

It is getting beyond a joke, it is past 10pm by the time she eventually falls asleep, sometimes as late as 11pm.  She is awake at 7/7.30am most mornings and will sometimes (not always) have a nap for about an hour.  This can sometimes be later than I would like, meaning that she is waking up for her tea, so then of course she isn't tired at bedtime, so if she hasn't napped by 3, I try to keep her going so that she doesn't fall asleep and is tired at bedtime - doesn't always work.

I know that its all change and that she's still getting used to Cameron being around.  I'm thinking of altering our routine after the bath so that Cameron has his feed upstairs straight after the bath and then I put him down in his crib upstairs to sleep.  I will then continue as before with Charlotte going downstairs for her story and milk and then toilet/teeth bed as usual.  I hoping that as she sees Cameron is upstairs to sleep that she won't feel she is missing out on anything and that should help her to settle.

However, any suggestions of what you think I can do to get back on track would be gratefully received.  I'm dreading tonight, (well I dread every bedtime at the moment), but this one in particular - I'm on my own as DH is out for the night (staying out overnight) and I'm not sure how I'm going to cope/handle this one on my own.

Thanks for reading, sorry it is such a long post!
Rach xx

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Bedtime is becoming a nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 14:56:52 pm »
Have you tried telling her story in bed with her.  Nathan insisted on this when Alex was born.  It was (and still is) our little bit of time together. Also, there was no way that he was going to bed after Alex as he was a big boy and she was a baby and therefore should go to bed after him so I had to work a nap around 7ish for Alex so that I could settle Nathan and keep our bedtime routine in tact, This nap she took in her crib in our room as if she was ready for bed.  Obviously, new born she had another feed to take but at least he thought that she was in bed so it was ok for him to go too.

Good luck, it's keeping them in their beds I am still struggling with!

Offline Johanne

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 14:57:07 pm »
Does Cameron go down to sleep pretty well? I was just thinking that you could do the milk and story downstairs all together and then instead of putting Cameron in his crib downstairs you could put him in it upstairs and then put Charlotte to bed. Charlotte may feel she is missing out because Cameron is downstairs - this way she might see that both of them are going to bed and Cameron isn't getting any extra attention.

Jo

Offline rach

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 15:03:23 pm »
This is what i'm thinking, that she feels she's missing out on something.  I'm going to try putting him to sleep upstairs tonight as he settles fairly well.  If Charlotte see's him in bed, hopefully, fingers crossed she'll settle a little better then.  I'll try the story in bed bit too see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I just hope she doesn't have a meltdown when Cameron is upstairs and then wake him up!  ::)

DH has just told me that he is leaving in about an hour as he's out for tea too, so he isn't here to help with any of the bedtime routine!  Great!  >:(

Wish me luck!
Rach xx

Offline mari

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 15:07:58 pm »
I think that she is after some time alone with you and if you can get Cameron to bed then try explaining to her that you need to be really quiet so as not to wake him and you can have some special time together.  This always works with Nathan, bedtime is an almost silent ritual as he knows that if alex wakes, she spoils it all for him! 'We don't want that girl messing up our story do we' he says.!
Hopefully this will stop any thoughts of a meltdown.  I hope all goes well as bedtime is such a nice time if it's done calmly.

Offline Johanne

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 15:25:28 pm »
you'll probably do better than you think! maybe speak to Charlotte before bed and explain your plan to get cameron to bed so you and her can have some special girl time together - get her on your side so to speak? ;) Sorry Alex on me again - hard to type - mr no naps today!  ;D

Jo

Offline rach

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 18:51:59 pm »
Well it is 7.45pm and i've been downstairs for about 10 minutes, both children fast asleep  ;D

It wasn't plain sailing, but I didn't expect it to be.  I explained to Charlotte what we were going to do, bath, milk, then we'd put Cameron to bed, toilet/teeth, then mummy and Charlotte would have some quiet time together and read a story and then bed.

Well it all went really well, except after her story, she wanted another, but we'd agreed just one story, so then she said that she wanted a drink, well i'd already taken a drink of water upstairs for her, so all of a sudden she wanted to come downstairs with me to 'sit quietly'  ::).  We had a few tears then when I said no, so I reminded her that Cameron was fast asleep and in bed and that it was time for her to go to sleep too. 

I stayed with her while she settled herself down, I didn't engage in any conversations with her and she soon quietened down.  I waited while she fell asleep, I think i'm going to have to gradually leave the room, do it nice and slowly with her to get her back on track.

So, I'm really pleased, especially as DH isn't here.  So, fingers crossed she'll have a good night.  She didn't have a nap today so I knew that she was tired.  Now all i've got to do is get upstairs to feed Cameron without waking Charlotte! 

We'll see how it goes!  I'll keep you posted!
Rach xx

Offline annas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 20:08:52 pm »
Hi Rachel
     Think you did an absolutely storming job - good on ya girl!! You are doing as we are  - when we were having similar issues our HV said the same about putting Nathan to bed before Anna so she didn't think she was missing out and it made all the difference. And Well Done for doing it by yourself  - always more difficult. You are right in that Charlotte is still getting used to her baby brother (who by the way is gorgeous - lovely avatar!! ;D) - Anna was fine with everything until week2 then all hell broke loose for about a week or 2 , then it seemed to settle down again. Of course now he's mobile and wanting her toys its a whole different matter again! ::)

(((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))

Clare

Mum to Anna 2yrs 8 months and Nathan 11 months

Offline rach

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 20:19:18 pm »
Thanks Clare.  Its strange because it wasn't until about the 2nd week that things went down-hill with us too.  I have to admit that because I didn't want to rock the boat too much, I was scared of her feeling left out, so I did give in with her and let her come downstairs, but not anymore.  I'm going to stick with this, and I know that it won't last forever.

It is so nice having the evening to myself.  I've been up to feed Cameron, had to do a full change on him because his nappy had leaked!  ::)  Both of them are fast asleep!  ;D
Rach xx

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 20:22:57 pm »
Hi Rachel,

Just wanted to send you big HUGS. You are doing an amazing job with your lovely babies, you're great :-*

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline rach

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 20:26:07 pm »
 :-* Faye

I'm going to have to have a think about some activities to do with Charlotte to make the most of mummy/Charlotte time.  I'll check out the activity board I think.  If I can make our daytimes more special then that should all help too.
Rach xx

Offline maxysmum

• Steph mummy to Max and Loen
  • Showing Appreciation 145
  • my babies
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 20:28:49 pm »
Well done, sounds like your just storming through this being a mum of 2 lark! enjoy your evening

Love your avatar btw Cameron is just gorgeous! as of course is charlotte but I already knew that  :D

Offline mari

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 20:43:51 pm »
Well done Rachel and a big hug for Charlotte for being a big girl. (and one for Cameron because he deserves one too)

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 20:46:09 pm »
Rachel, you are making me think I could do 2 kids, you really are :)

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline rach

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 20:47:42 pm »
Faye, if I can do it, you definitely can!  :D