Author Topic: Teething, needle and how to break night waking  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Teething, needle and how to break night waking
« on: August 02, 2006, 05:46:18 am »
13 mo lo started waking at night--still in process of getting 5 teeth (can see them all :o).  When crying at night DH and I would alternate getting up, comforting, try Advil and eventually give into giving a bottle (5oz).  Now, teeth not all through yet but waking up everynight at 1pm screaming for bottle and won' t settle until gets it (AP at its best).

How do we eliminate this feed???

Sabine

Offline chamorromomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Kai Mateo 11/23/2005
Re: Teething, needle and how to break night waking
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 20:08:24 pm »
does your lo take a paci? i did that with our ds when I wanted to stop feeding him in the middle of the night and it worked--he got all that sucking motion out of his system and it dawned on him that he wasn't all that hungry and evetually he stopped waking up (until those teeth started creeping up). It sounds like you lo might just like that sucking motion--it must feel ok for them. DS hates the bottle when the pain is at its worse. 

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 21:10:17 pm »
Personally at 13 months if she doesn't have a paci, I wouldn't start that habit now - just my opinion of course. 

Sounds like a habit.  You can try wake to sleep:  Set your alarm for one hour earlier then she usually wakes up -  so in your case 12am.  Go into her room quietly and gently stir her from a deep sleep.  This should restart her sleep cycle and hopefully she won't wake at 1am.  Be sure to not wake her completely.  You just want to stir her.  After you stir, personally I find it is better if you wake in te room silently for a few moments to give her a chance to go back into a good sleep.  I find sometimes when I exit immediately, because he is in a light sleep, my leaving wakes him completely ::)  So, just hang tight for a min or two after you stir her so she can settle, then go out and pray to the Sleep Gods.

The other thing you can try is the water down method.  You can every 2-3 night add less milk and more water to the bottle in hope that when its all water she won't wake for it anymore.   Here is a link about it, this mom used the method for a younger baby, however I can't see why it wouldn't work for an older one.  You could also just cut back the amount of milk, replacing it with nothing and see if that works too.  That's how I weaned the DF, every 2 night I put 2 ounces less in the bottle and that was that. 

So, there are a few options for ya!  Hope one of them is helpful.  Be sure too she is adequately (as she can be) medicated for the teething.

Hugs, good luck,
Zoe
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 13:41:00 pm by Zoey »

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 13:37:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice..last night cut down to 4 oz so will try the water down method

sabine