Author Topic: Allergy or Intolerance  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Imran

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:10:56 am »
I need some help understanding whats wrong with my son. He turned 1 year last week but ever since he was 5 months he gets diarreah every month. In the beginning he was only on formula and rice crereal when he first got diarreah. I thought all babies at some point probably get diarreah and was very releved when it ended afetr a whole week of torture as my poor baby became dehydrated.
But unfortunately I've had to deal with this every month.

In May I put him on lactose free formula. However he still got diarreah in June. The I eliminated cheese, oatmeal and butter from his diet at the end of June. The whole of July went by very well and no diarreah. In August I fed him oatmeal and the diarreah came back. Now I don't know whether he's got allergy or is it possible he is gluten intolerant.

LO also had very slight eczema when he was born and has asthma problems since he was born, but his asthma seems to have settled down now for the past 2 months.

I'm planning to take him for a blood test this weekend to check for food allergies. Is this a good idea. Are the tests accurate. Please help.

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Allergy or Intolerance
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 10:12:01 am »
I would think if it's food causing it, it would be something that you are offering only at that time of the month that he has problems. During the weeks he had no diarrhoea (initially before you started changing his diet) had you dropped something from the diet and then put back in for the week he had problems? What else happened at 5mths of age - any medication, vaccinations, new food? So you have now removed the offending foods that initially set it off and the oats are the only problem? Gluten is found in oats, wheat, barley and rye - oats aren't really a true trigger - it's controversial whether it's a problem or not, how does he go on bread and pasta? I would think they would be bigger problems if it were gluten.

But in reality, any aspect of a food can be a problem, gluten is just one protein, so if the problem seems to be with oats then it could be another part of them. I still wonder though because you had 3 good weeks and then 1 one bad one - seems kinda strange, more like there is something that you're randomly giving him instead of on the standard menu.

My dd had did a gluten challenge before having the Coeliac screen done (at 12mths), so I believe it is must be reasonably accurate, but I will rechallenge her every year to see if it develops later as I think there is a problem, but it's not showing up yet. I have read that it's not too accurate until after age 2.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:13:47 am by Nikki~ »

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:27:43 pm »
As far as I am aware, the blood tests for allergies are accurate.   Hope it's something simple!!!!!!   :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 13:13:17 pm »
Actually, I've been told that the tests are not all that accurate under 2 years of age and will only show a true anaphylactic allergy - not a GI allergy or intolerance. It's still probably worth doing to get some direction but your DS could still have an intolerance or GI/cell mediated allergy with a negative result. Same with the celiac test - many babies (and adults for that matter) have a wheat/gluten intolerance but not truly celiac... It's so hard to tell - much of it is a process of trial and elimination!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 17:20:29 pm »
I stand corrected!  I keep forgetting that little people and big people get different results.   ::)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Imran

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:01:38 am »
thanks for the responses. We'll go ahead with the tests and see what we get with it. Fortunately the diarrea and vomiting only lasted the 1 day this time.