Author Topic: CAMPING HOLIDAY AND SLEEP  (Read 926 times)

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
CAMPING HOLIDAY AND SLEEP
« on: August 02, 2006, 13:37:31 pm »
DS is 21 months and has always slept pretty well in my opinion. He always falls asleep independently but sometimes we've put up with early wakings from time to time. For the last month he's been sleeping until 7am which he's never done before. He goes for his nap with no problem at around 1.15 for 2 hours. No problems! My concern is that we're off on a camping holiday next week and don't want to start up any problems. The last time we went camping he was 10 months and took 2 naps. We would usually plan car journeys around these times and in the evenings he slept a little later than usual and nursed to sleep (even though this wasn't the norm at home). He will stay awake now during car journeys because he wants to get home to his cot even if he's tired which is wonderful. But what do we do whilst on holiday. He won't have a bed as such in the camper van. Do we do bedtime routine as at home? Should he take his nap in the car or buggy? Routine is going so well at the moment I don't want to mess it up. Any replies will be much appreciated.

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Re: CAMPING HOLIDAY AND SLEEP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 15:00:44 pm »
Lucky you to have such a good little sleeper ! When we've been away caravaning, we've tried to stick to the bedtime routine as much as possible, even if it meant bathing DS in the sink  ;D I am not sure how much space you have in the camper van and if it would allow you to open the travel cot inside for his naps. My DS is quite flexible and would usually sleep well in his pram/car seat so I personally would not have a problem with that, especially if it means that we can be mobile and not be tied to the caravan during nap times. I can see that you're concerned about messing things up but IME DS went easily back to his routine after we came back from holidays and I would even venture that he was looking forward to his own bed as much as we were !
Have a good time and good luck

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 16:43:24 pm »
IF he's used to a good routine and attached to his bed, maybe bringing the pack and play with the anti mosquito net would be a good idea for naps (you can place the pack and play in a not so loud spot and let him know this will be napping place). Stick to your routine as much as possible (one of my friends took to her camping trip an inflatable pool to do the baths ;)) and as soon as you get there, let him know where his sleeping will be (for nights and naps). Bring along favourite teddy bears or loveys and set his sleeping spot as similar as you can (I always bring sheets, pillow and teddies to ALL our trips... i even bring the ocean wonders LOL but that's because im a freak... you dont have to go that far). Once we get to our destiny, the first thing i do, before unpacking or even say hi to family, is setting up the sleeping spot, letting ds know that Teddy/Monkey/whoever came with us for holiday, and set up sheets and pillows, so he knows where he's sleeping and feels comfortable with that part being arranged. Then when it's nap/sleep time i do things as similar as i can (in comparison to home routine) and stay with him "pretending" to be asleep so he feels secure and certain that even if we're sleeping in a different place, im not abandoning him. It usually doesn't take me more than 10 mins for him to be out (usually he's worn out from running around and extra activities on holidays). The first time we did this, it took him a good half hour to settle but that was the only time. Talk to him in advanced of how the holidays are so fun, how the place is like and how exciting is to sleep somewhere else etc so he'll be looking forward to it and will know what to expect.

Good luck, and have a nice time!!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 19:08:23 pm »
Thanks to you both for your replies. My main concern is that we don't have a bed for DS. The sleeping area in the camper van opens up to one large bed. The last time we went DS slept in a pop up crib (Is this what you mean by pack an play?) along the top and we slept further down. There is no room for a travel cot that would accomodate him any longer so he will be sleeping horizontally along the top in a sleeping bag. We do have an awning with a seperate sleeping area but I wouldn't  put him in there alone and would rather put him to bed in the van and for DH and I to sit in the awning in the evenings. I will make the sleeping area similar with usual teddies, blanket, pillow and light machine etc but there won't be anything to restrain him as with a cot and it will be much lighter than his roon at home. Even if he did sleep in the car or pram some days we wouldn't be able to do this often because he never sleeps long enough in it. Am I right in thinking that you would lie next to him at sleep times to fall asleep?