Author Topic: Not sure what to do.  (Read 912 times)

mommasboys

Not sure what to do.
« on: August 02, 2006, 20:39:53 pm »
The past few nights dorian has gone down at bedtime great. Just like always. After about 2 hours he wakes up screaming like someone is physically trying to harm him. I try to settle him down before i pick him up but he won't stop crying completely till i pick him up.  Lastnight was the worst. It took some time and soothing to calm him down.  I asked him if he had a scary dream and he pointed to his bed (While still crying) Said alot i didn't understand then clear as day said "in my bed" I took afew steps closer to his bed and he freaked out.  I sat him with his dad then checked his bed to make sure there was nothing poking him and didn't find anything.

Then today at nap time it happened again.  I don't know what going on. ??? ???  For the past week or so things here around bedtime have been very quiet alot of the time now we don't even have the t.v. on.  So i don't know what would be scaring him.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advise????  I'd be gratefull for any.   Thanks

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Not sure what to do.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 20:46:54 pm »
Night terrors maybe?

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:42:46 am »
has anything in his routine changed recently? Could he be more tired than ususal, that normally accounts for these sudden early wakings.

Night terrors according to Ferber are generally as a result of overtiredness making the transition between sleep cycles more difficult and they normally go back to sleep very quickly afterwards.

Have you asked him during the day about his bed? Will he play in it happily?

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 17:03:11 pm »
Just like Justine points out, I was about to suggest fun/play time in his bed during awake time. Like peekaboo, reading books, playing hide/n seek stuffed animals under the sheets, playing putting stuffed animals "to bed" etc.

Then, you can try to sneak into his room 10-15 mins prior his usual wakings (during night time and nap time) and observe what's going on prior his waking (is he tangled in the sheets, or with a foot stuck on the crib bars, is he wide awake or crying in his sleep) to solve the mistery. That can also help him see you right away when he wakes and be more calmed with your presence and relax about it. Remeber all the time to him that it's ok, it's just a dream, reassure him and cuddle him as much as he wants/needs and he should be back on track within a couple of days. I can't remember where i read it but with this "love" treatment, night terrors tend to vanish within a week or so.

Good luck, this must be really stressing for you but remember that as they grow into toddlerhood, dreams tend to be more vivid cause they're able to remember and understand much more, and are starting to make connections between cause and effect. Try to turn this on your side by making it fun and play lots of cause and effect games (like turning playdoh into an animal and then again into a ball, etc.). Something I do a lot with lo is play with stuffed animals things i usually do with him, like Monkey doesn't want to eat his veggies, should we give him a chocolate... to my surprise he often says No and puts monkey in the crib... they understand much more than we can take on account, so play along that and you might be surprised and he might tell you what's scaring him (on a funny note, ds told me today that nanny had broken a cup and hidden it in the wastebasket LOL... i went through it and found the broken cup) hehe it pays off to research their feelings and fears.

Good luck again, I hope this phase ends soon!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

mommasboys

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 12:55:04 pm »
Thank you for all your advise. I'll most definitely give some of these ideas a try.