Author Topic: "How do I store formula when I am out and about for the day?"  (Read 2287 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
"How do I store formula when I am out and about for the day?"
« on: August 02, 2006, 20:42:39 pm »
There are many ready-to-feed formulas on the market that come sealed in little cartons and are handy for instantly decanting into a sterilised feeding bottle. If your baby is reluctant to take milk at room temperature, you could use a travel bottle-warmer, which can also be used to heat up containers and jars of baby food. These take roughly six minutes to do the job when plugged in.

Another method of feeding on the go is to carry an insulated bottle carrier, which will keep just-boiled water warm for approximately four hours. You can now buy small screw-on sterilisable containers which hold the required amount of formula powder, helping you to mix a feed with more ease. The advice from the Department of Health is that water needs to be ideally 70 degrees C or hotter when you make up the feed, to destroy any potentially harmful bacteria. Carrying warm formula around in an insulated carrier is not safe, as warm milk is a good breeding ground for bacteria.

The information above is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 20:55:20 pm by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x