Author Topic: "How do I warm my baby's bottle?"  (Read 2170 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
"How do I warm my baby's bottle?"
« on: August 02, 2006, 20:43:26 pm »
Although traditionally we give babies warm milk to drink, some babies don't actually mind cold milk as long as it is not straight from the fridge. If you are using expressed breastmilk or ready-to-use formula milk, and you do decide to warm up your baby's bottles (heating up previously made formula is no longer recommended), one of the most commonly used methods is to use a jug or bowl of hot water. Do take care though, as young children have been scalded when hot water used for warming bottles has been accidentally knocked over. Once the bottle is warmed through, shake it to make sure the temperature is even throughout.

When testing the temperature of the milk, squirt a little onto your inner wrist. This is a more reliable guide than testing it on, say, the back of your hand as the skin here is thinner and more sensitive. The milk droplets on your skin should feel warm, not hot.

It is not recommended to warm milk in a microwave because uneven pockets of scalding milk may be formed. Some babies have received burns to the mouth and throat when this method has been used, so make sure you shake the milk well after warming to distribute the heat evenly. The intense heat produced in a microwave may also destroy some of the nutrients in your baby's milk.

There are electric bottle warmers on the market which are safer to use, which can also heat baby foods. They take around four to six minutes to heat a bottle to the perfect temperature for your baby.

If you are using formula which you are making up from infant milk powder, it is recommended that you mix new formula when each feed is required, and not, as was previously advised, make up advanced batches to store in the fridge. This is because the powder is not sterile, and there is a small risk that harmful bacteria may develop in made up formula which is kept for later use.

If you are out and about, carry water that has just boiled in an insulated container ready to mix with milk powder when you need it. Ideally the water should be at temperature of 70 degrees C or higher when used to make up your baby's bottle. Bear in mind that the water does eventually begin to cool off, as with any vacuum container. Never carry warm milk in an insulated carrier because this will encourage the growth of harmful bacteria.

Reviewed March 2006

The information above is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition.
Lauren x