Author Topic: Veggie bread  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Veggie bread
« on: August 02, 2006, 20:49:50 pm »
Well dd wont eat veg unless it's well hidden ::) but she does like crunchy bread  ;D anyone got any nice SIMPLE/EASY recipies for veggie bread, I know someone mentioned zuccihini bread or muffins a good while back.
Thanks in advance  :)

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
Re: Veggie bread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 15:20:20 pm »
sorry i don't have any but i'm 'bumping' this and hopefully someone will know  :)
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 16:12:22 pm »
so, zucchini bread you wanted, zucchini bread you're going to get  ;) more of a cakey thing really, probably works well as muffins too, but then fiddle with the baking times. Salting the zucchini draws out the water making the whole loaf much lighter in texture
prep time 20 mins, baking 1 hr makes 2 8x4 inch loaves (freezes well)

3 zucchini
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tbs cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
2  tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

1 soak raisins in warm water for 30 mins, drain and set aside

2 clean zucchini and trim off ends. Don't peel. Shred with medium sized shredder - should have about 4 cups when finished. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of the salt and place on a plate. Mix with your hands to evenly distribute the salt. Place a heavy saucepan on the zucchini and allow to sit for 20 mins.

3 preheat oven to 350f or 180c. Grease and line base of 2 8x4 in loaf pans and set aside

4 set aside 2 tbs of the flour. Sift together remaining flour, soda, spices and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.

5 beat eggs on medium for about 3 mins. Add sugar, little at a time and beat for a good 5 mins. Mixture should be light and thick. While beating slowly pour in the oil.

6 empty zucchini into a colander and squeeze to release the juices.

7 Add vanilla to beaten eggs, then add zucchini. Add dry ingredients, a little at a time and mix just until the dry ingredients are mixed in. Do not over mix.

8 in a small bowl combine the remaining 2 tbs flour with the nuts and raisins, mix to coat. Fold into batter and pour into the prepared pans.

9 bake at 350f about 1 hour or until a  toothpick comes out clean. Remove to a rack to cool 10 mins before removing from the tins and cool completely.

Delicious!  ;D
Katie
Katie

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 19:45:59 pm »
Hi Katie,
Thanks for the recipie, really weird but replies to my post often don't show up when I got to posts from last visit. Sounds good, and dd loves raisins . Hope I can find vanilla extract here, think it may be difficult as I know I have seen people looking for it on other middlle east forums, guess it must have something illegal in there  ;D any other substitue if I cant find it. Anyway hopefull will try this next week, will keep you posted .
Fiona

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 20:30:55 pm »
Maybe you can get vanilla sugar instead, and use it in place of some of the white sugar?  Could be that vanilla extract is hard to find where you are because it's in an alcohol base?
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:39:23 am »
you could leave the vanilla out if you can't find it. Can you find vanilla pods? Cost alot, but you can put one in a bag of sugar, leave it a few days and hey presto, vanilla sugar!
Katie