Author Topic: When is my lo actually "asleep"?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Chrissy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 02, 2006, 21:01:44 pm »
Hello,
I feel silly asking this after months of being on EASY, but I remember reading that it takes our lo's 20 min. to fall into a deep sleep...so does this mean that I wait until I see he is settled and assume he's in this deep sleep in 20 more min?  For example, if his eyes are closed and he's settled at 12:00, I actually assume it's 12:20 that he's asleep?  So when he wakes up at 1:00, was this a 1 hour nap or a 40 minute nap?  Dumb question, I'm sure, but I figure I better ask. ...
My ds is almost 7 mos. and he's starting to do the shorter naps (from reading other similar posts, this appears to be due to his need for longer A time) and I need to know when I can be sure he's asleep to gauge this correctly. 
On that note of extending awake time, right now he's fussy/showing sleepy cues at only 2 hours from wake time consistently through the day.  I've been adding 5-10 min. for the past week, but I can't seem to get him to 2.5 hours (which I know I need to get to for a baby his age.)  Do I just keep pushing it and risk an overtired baby?  Is it 5-10 min increments every couple days or 15 min that I push for?

Here's his routine the last week or two:
6am - wake and bottle feed 8 oz.
7am - solids (1-2 tsp max right now)
8am-8:15 - nap
9ish wakes then I get him back to sleep until about 9:45 or 10
10am - bottle feed 8 oz
12-12:15 nap
1ish wakes then I get him back to sleep until about 1:45 or 2ish
2ish - bottle feed 8 oz
3:45-4 cat nap (if I wait until after 4 to try to put him down, he won't settle)
4:30ish wakes
5:45-6ish dinner of 8 oz formula and solids
6:45-7 - bedtime

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!
Chrissy

Offline Chrissy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 15:57:02 pm »
Thanks for your reply, Stacy!  I've been miscalculating his naps his whole life, and he's actually been sleeping way more!  Whoops!  :o
This morning was great...he actually almost made it to 2. 5 hours awake time!  Each day (esp. awake time) is so different, but I'll be happy to see this today!  I hope for a little more consistency with his naps in the future...No, I have not tried W2S (I thought I read that it's not recommended for babies over 6 mos, or is that not true?)  I'll read some posts on that and if this extended awake time doesn't work, I'll try that!  With every day being so sporadic with naps, it's worth a try.  He's my grumpy/touchy one, but when it comes to sleep, I feel like I've had an angel.  Just a little road bump here and there, but that is to be expected with all the developmental milestones at 6 mos.
Thanks again for your time and support!  (I'd love to make a donation for the website...every little bit helps, right?)  :D
Chrissy

Offline Chrissy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 17:26:33 pm »
Thank you Stacy...I've read a lot of your posts/replies and you are so informative and helpful.  The encouragement alone is priceless! 
Thanks a million!
Chrissy