Author Topic: Screaming in the middle of the night  (Read 845 times)

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Screaming in the middle of the night
« on: August 03, 2006, 00:07:10 am »
Our LO will start fussing, these situations I'm speaking of i know he is not hungry becuase they occur within 2 hours of his last feeding so we let him fuss for awhile. When the fussing turns to crying I send my husband in. HE tries to soothe him without picking him up. WHen this doesn't work and he is still crying - which is turning into screaming - dh picks him up. He tries everything, pat-shhh, reswaddling, diaper change, pacifier, gas drops, but nothing he does stops him from SCREAMING. Sometimes this goes on for 2 hours. But usually if it's been an hour I will go in and nurse him again. He'll usually take a feed and go back to sleep. This is not a growth spurt as this occurs at least twice a week. Sometimes I try to go in as soon as the fussing starts and i can put a pacifier in and he goes right back to sleep. Sometimes I do this and he just starts screaming as soon as I try the pacifier. So it's always a gamble. DS is 4 months on 3.5 hour easy:
7 wake feed
8:45 wind down and nap 1-2 hours (varies - when he sleeps less we shorten next A time)
10:15-10:30 wake feed
12:15 wind down and nap 1-2 hours
2:00 wake feed
3:30/4 wind down and nap until 5
5 wake feed
bath
7:30 feed and bed.
Wakes at different times every night, I usually feed twice a night, sometimes once on a good night. What should I do about this screaming fits at night? It's almost like if we left him to cry it would be just as bad since he is crying so hard for so long anyways. It definitely gets worse when we go in his room to calm him.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Screaming in the middle of the night
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 21:49:54 pm »
hmmmm... the only thing i can think of is that his last A time might be too long - on the days he wakes screaming.  2.5 hrs (from 5-7:30) is a long time for a 4-month old.  the days he's okay it must work for him, but that screaming sounds like overtiredness.  maybe try & keep a closer eye on his tired cues, and put him to bed around 7pm some nights???

that's all i can think of now.   :)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 12:17:28 pm »
oh yeah I time his bedtime around when he wakes from that nap, if it's 5 I usually do bed at 7, if it's after that we can usually go until 7:30. I know he is definitely tired but I don't want to put him for a nap at 6 or even put him to bed earlier than 7. Since the longest stretch we get lately is 4 or 5 hours and it's at the very beginning I really need that sleep time for me too and I just can't go to bed at 6p. I am just confused at what kind of schedule he should be doing with a 4 hour easy taht starts around 7am?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 17:29:27 pm »
okay.... let me reach far back into my memory...   ;)

luke was doing something like this around 4 months - i can vaguely remember

7am wake
8:45-9 - go down for 1st nap
10:30 - wake
1 - 3 nap
5-6 nap
8pm bedtime

he was eating about 5 bottles i think about that time. this was a big age for him.  as he went from 4-5 months everything started falling into place - his naps lengthened & he enjoyed the slightly longer A time.

HTH  :)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy