Author Topic: 6mths, waking 4am every night and plays....  (Read 1024 times)

Offline marie11

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
6mths, waking 4am every night and plays....
« on: August 03, 2006, 21:01:58 pm »
iI have answered the questions re our routine below.

My LO is 6mths and has started waking every night at approx 4am and plays (really loudly!) Have left her to play for upto just under an hour, more recently though 20mins or so as she keeps us awake too! Giving her a chance to chat herself off to sleep...Once she sees me at this time though she gets upset if I dont pick her up and as its 4am I feel she prob be hungry so give her a feed.  I havent done the dream feed unless she wakes as she is at the higher end of weight gain and has lots of healthy rolls! I have been lucky with the fact that she slept from 7.30pm to 6am from 11weeks and only started night waking at 5mths when her teeth came through.  She started sleeping thru again until this week and has started waking playing at roughly the same time every night. I dont have The BW answers all your problems book anymore but do recall a section on waking same time every night but cant remember what it meant!  I am not complaining and happy to feed her if thats what she needs but just wondered if anyone else had same experience?  I did try her on solids at 5mths as I thought she was showing signs but she lost interest after a week so we held off until last week.  She was on once a day around 6tsp but upped her to twice a day this week - again 6tsp.  I think I may have increased her to twice a day too soon?  As the past couple of nights when she gets a feed at 4am she has filled big nappies after already doing a nappy in the day..I am wondering if she is having a wee bit too much in her tummy too soon?
Just wondering what other folk do for night time play waking? 
Would it be the solids that are waking her?
Should I cut back to 1 solid a day for a bit longer?

Thanks in advance...

How old is your child?   6MONTHS
What’s his/her daily routine?  3.5 TO 4HR EASY
What’s nap routine?   2X1.5 TO 2 HR NAPS OR 1 X 2 HR AND 2 X 45MINS
What's bedtime routine? Time? BATH, LAST FEED, STORY, CUDDLES, BED AROUND 7PM
Do you bottle or breastfed??  BREASTFEED
How much? or how long?  APPROX 10-15MINS, 5 FEEDS A DAY SOMETIMES 6
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) USUALLY BOTH
How many wakes per night?  USUALLY NONE, OCCASIONAL ONE, STARTED ROUTINE 4AM WAKE UP
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  WAKES PLAYING, HAVE LEFT HER TO PLAY FOR UP TO 50MINS BUT STILL DIDNT GO BACK TO SLEEP!
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  PLAYING, BUT ONCE SEES ME STARTS TO CRY IF I DONT PICK UP
What have you tried to settle??  DUMMY, MUSLIN TO PLAY WITH, CUDDLES, USUALLY FEED
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  2 - 3 HRS EACH TIME THROUGH THE DAY.  READ, TALK, SING, TUMMY TIME, EXERSAUCER, PLAYMAT, LOOKING IN MIRROR
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  STARTED SOLIDS AGAIN
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  NI CEREAL - JUST FRUIT OR VEG AT MOMENT
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  OCCASIONALLY TAKES DUMMY BUT NOT OFTEN
Do they have a lovie? HAS LOVIE FOR DAY IN CAR SEAT OR PUSHCHAIR, NOTHING AT NIGHT. CANT SOMETIMES GO OFF TO SLEEP AGAIN IF GIVEN MUSLIN SQUARE TO PLAY WITH.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 21:11:34 pm by marie11 »

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: 6mths, waking 4am every night and plays....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 21:37:06 pm »
Hi, I saw this and wanted to reply simply because my LO is about 6 months too!

A few thoughts and questions:

1) At 6months she shouold really be on a 4 hour easy.  The wrong easy routine can definately make for night wakings.  I would really try and move her to a full 4 hour easy.

2) We give Owen 4, 8OZ bottles and 2 meals of 2T of fruit or veg, and 1T of yogurt or cereal.  He has been on solids since 5 months and is 20pounds, 29inches long.  Just to give you an idea.

3)  If she is happy and playing at 4am, I'd just leave her be.  Maybe turn the monitor down a little bit so she isn't as loud to you lol?  Going in and engaging her could (or has) lead to habitual wakings at that time.  Have you been feeding her just to send her back to sleep?  Or does she actually cry and seem hungry?  If she doesn't cry out, I wouldn't go to her, and I really wouldn't feed her unless she is hungry.  If she is hungry she will let you know I am sure lol.  If this waking started at the same time the solids or increase in solids did - I would cut back again and just try again in a few weeks to add it back.

I hope this helps a whee bit!
Big Hugs!  And well done on getting her to sleep so well!

Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline marie11

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 00:43:19 am »
Thanks Zoey...I think you have helped me before!

I will try and get her to a 4 hr easy as you advised - so far our days are prob 50%3.5 and 50% 4.
Sorry does T mean tablespoon or teaspoon?

She plays away in the night with the odd cry sound thrown in with her gibberish but once I go in the room she starts to cry if I try to walk out or dont pick her up - so then I feed her as I think she is hard to settle and I think she is hungry...I wil not got in tonight if she wakes for a chat unless she gets upset..I have probably made this a problem for myself!!
The night waking did start when I increased to 2xper day so today I have given her breaskfast solids only..will see if that helps!

Thank you again for your help...you do a great job on this website.

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 01:02:44 am »
 :-* thanks, you made me blush!

Sorry T - tablespoon.

I am glad I could help you!  Let me know how it goes, or if I can help in any way!

Love,
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.