Author Topic: Are you a slave to Naptime?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Re: Are you a slave to Naptime?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 19:14:10 pm »
Yes, always have been. Dd is another child ( can't really say baby anymore  :( ) who would only nap in her cot. Since we went to 1 nap it's fantastic, we go out early in the morning, she has lunch at 11.30 but I can stretch this to 11.50 and nap 12.30-2.30 so we have a nice long afternoon too.
Fiona

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 16:12:59 pm »
Also a slave to the nap--although the time may vary a bit but only based on DD's sleeping not on other factors.  DD is also another one who needs to be in her crib for her nap--she hasn't napped in the car since she was 9 weeks old.  No or short naps usually mean night wakings so it's just not worth messing with her schedule.  People think I'm completely insane mind you but at least I'm a well rested insane person! ;)

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 18:24:37 pm »
Just checking in! another nap slave here!

Which is totally isolating in a country like this where all the gatherings and family stuff are around 2-3 pm which is when ds is napping. i have lost an amazing number of invitations (and have recently found that im not getting invited anymore ::)) but i don't care. As my mom says, he'll only be like this at most for 3 years and we're providing him a safe environment for the rest of his life. Besides, i wouldn't be invited either if i showed up with a very cranky and loud toddler that hasn't napped.

As ds has grewn up, he'll sleep in his pack and play in almost every home we go. So it's been getting less isolating as time goes by.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 18:33:07 pm »
Florencia,

How did you get your lo to sleep in the Pack N Play?  DS only naps in his crib.  I would LOVE to be able to take a Pack N Play to people's houses and let him sleep.  I have friend's whose children will sleep all night in a Pack N Play at a sitter's or relatives house!!!????!!!???  I WISH!   :o :o

Judy

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 18:40:34 pm »
Carmela too will sleep in a pack n' play, both for naps and bedtime.  We visit my family A LOT and I just wasn't willing to stop my life for a baby (in that regard) so from birth, she'd sleep in her pack n' play at our friends and families houses.  She still does it to this day.  When I say it's bedtime, it's bedtime no matter where we are!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 18:43:20 pm »
Any tips on how to get a lo to sleep in a Pack N Play if they never have before?

I suppose start with naps?  But I don't want too short of naps!!  Too Risky.

Any Advice would be great!

Sorry to hijack this post! :-[ :-[
Judy

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 18:45:59 pm »
IT was not easy but we started by warning him all excited at no so unfamiliar places like grandma's or some uncles. I got to the point to even visiting the uncle one day before the party was being held (yep, i got the funny looks and the rolling eyes but i've developed an I DONT CARE back LOL) so he'd got familiarized with the room he'd be sleeping in. I still visit with the whole parafernalia: pack n play, sheets, pillows, ocean wonders, 3 stuffed animals, pj's, ipod, ipod amplifyier (so he can have HIS music), darkening curtains (cause some homes we visit don'thave them LOL). I try to arrive at least 30 mins before nap time (i don't care if the hosts are still preparing the gathering... no wonders i dont get invited so often LOL... i just do this with really close family) so he gets used to the environment. I make a big fuss of it (and keep warning him throughout the day): HOW exciting WE ALL ARE GOING TO NAP AT AUNT's X!!!!!! woooow... will we take Monkey? oh yes, let's take him... The first 2-3 times he'd have trouble settling but i'd stay next to the crib, reassuring and holding his hand, pretending i was asleep too. He usually naps for 2 hours but the first times he'd nap for 1-1.5 hours. It was just a matter of practice and after the first 3 times he got the hint and now he'll sleep anywhere (as long as it's a bedroom and it's not too loud, i mask the outside sound with the music). HTH and give it a try! you will not regret it!

PS edited to add if he has never slept in the pack and play try a few naps at home, with the same routine in his room, sort of a piyama party, make some stuffed animal to sleep in his crib so he can sleep in the pack and play.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 18:48:00 pm »
Thank you Florencia.  Now I just have to work up the courage!!!

Is 14 months too young?  Will he understand what is going on???
Judy